Here we are at Wednesday again, and again it's time to join in on the fun with Kat and the Unravelers!
I've been working steadily on my sweater in the evenings (it's not really at a place where I can work on it with Ruthie in the same room) and have started the knit/purl texture sections, though I think my yarn might be a tad too busy for the patterning to be as visible as it could be.
I am hopeful that once the sweater is done and blocked, the patterning will be a bit clearer, but I'm not too concerned at this point. I'm enjoying working with the yarn and I think the sweater will be very comfy, and that's really what matters the most to me right now.
Sock knitting is still happening in the afternoon, but I needed something else to work on when we were at my parents' for lunch on Sunday (because the recipient of the socks was there), so I grabbed some dishcloth cotton and a crochet hook and started a quick dishcloth:
If the yarn looks familiar, it's because I was using it earlier in the summer to learn the crochet thermal stitch. Because I was just learning it, the resulting dishcloth was wonky and misshapen, and I decided to frog it once I got the hang of the stitch. I'm just using the basic corner to corner method here, with some single crochet around the outside edge to finish it of. I had about 3/4 of a skein of Knit Picks Dishie to start; I haven't weighed the finished cloth yet, but I'm hoping I can get at least one more of the same size out of the yarn that's left. It's a good instant gratification project when I need a break from the sweater.
I've finished three books this past week, two of which I really enjoyed.
I purchased House on Endless Waters when it was Kindle deal on a bit of a whim, having read only the description but not having heard of it or the author before, and I was very pleasantly surprised. In this novel in translation, the main character, a famous Israeli author named Yoel Blum, discovers a long-buried secret when he visits Amsterdam, the city of his birth and the city his late mother made him promise never to return to. His publisher finally persuades him to visit, and while he is there, he and his wife visit the local Jewish history museum, where he is shocked to see his mother in a film reel -- holding a baby that couldn't possibly be him. Confronting his older sister upon his return home, he learns the truth that has been hidden all these years and returns to Amsterdam to trace his family's experiences in WWII and write the novel he realizes his life has been leading him toward his entire career. As readers, we see Yoel explore the city and simultaneously see his family adapt to their changing circumstances as their lives as Dutch Jews become more and more difficult and desperate. As the Germans close in, arresting and deporting more and more Jews and prompting more of them to go into hiding, Yoel get closer and closer to the answer of his true identity and to understanding why his mother was so reluctant to talk about the war or connect with other Dutch Jews once they'd moved to Israel. This book was compelling and fascinating; though it is a fictional story, it reads in some respects like a memoir, and I think the author intended to highlight the struggles that many Dutch Jews who were hidden as children encountered once they uncovered the truth (some of them, for instance, had no surviving family after the war and were raised believing the families who hid them were their biological families, only learning the truth as adults). Though the stories aren't really similar, the setting and tone reminded me a lot of The Safekeep. I really enjoyed this one and gave it 4 stars.


Your sweater is progressing nicely and I think I spied the socks last night. Dishcloths are always nice instant gratification projects.The premise of The Girl Who Wrote In Silk sounds like it could have been interesting, but I think I'll skip it since I'm not a big fan of contrived novels. I will be looking for The Astral Library though!
ReplyDeleteI also agree your sweater is progressing nicely! I like the look of that dishcloth! (and what a great idea to practice crochet stitches!!) I am also off to look for The Astral Library! Thank you for the recommendation!
ReplyDeleteYour sweater looks lovely. I like the colors in the yarn you are using - the teal blue is beautiful. I agree with Bonny that dishcloths are instant gratification! The Astral Library sounds good and is available from my library!
ReplyDeleteI like the subtle texture on your sweater, Sarah. The colors are so soft and calming! I love the yarn you're using for your dish cloth. That marled/Ragg look is always a winner.
ReplyDeleteI bet that texture will really pop once it is blocked. I don’t crochet but I have been wanting to knit a few more wash clothes. Pretty yarn.
ReplyDeleteI love how your sweater looks! I am a big fan of muted contrast /subtle textures in sweaters, it is going to be gorgeous.
ReplyDelete