Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What next?

I have had A Day. First, there was the ridiculous quantity of work on my desk. Then, just as I was preparing to leave work to meet a friend for a drink before dinner with her, J, and another friend, I began getting a migraine. For me, the first stage of a migraine -- before the excruciating pain -- is going temporarily blind. Not exactly convenient when I've driven to work. Fortunately, J was in the neighborhood and was able to pick up my mother to have an extra driver. They figured they'd take my car over to my parents', I'd lie down for a bit to see if I felt better, and J and I would either go to dinner and pick up my car afterwards or I'd just nap there while he went to dinner.

Oh no, that was not to be. Of course, because I was already feeling like complete crap, The Powers That Be had to throw another log on the fire: when my mother and I walked over to my car, don't you know it has a flat tire? I've been driving for almost a decade and never gotten a flat tire, and of all days it happens when I'm feeling sick as a dog and just need to go home and crawl into bed. It took an hour and a half for AAA to come, but luckily my mom and J were there to keep me company and J let me relax in his car with the air conditioning on. Needless to say, we did not make it to dinner. Ironically, we were going to go to a place that we've never successfully gotten in to (every time we try to go, they're either closed or so packed we'd wait for hours to get in); J thinks this was just another sign that we're not meant to eat there.

If there was an upside to this day, it's that at least by the time I got home this evening, the migraine was manageable (thank you, Excedrin!) and I can actually relax for a couple of hours rather than climbing immediately out of bed. This means more time with J, who leaves early tomorrow morning for a two-day work trip. I also got to use my brand-new "Josie" sock bag, courtesy of trek. It arrived in the mail yesterday, and my first Steelers sock has already moved in. This is a such a great improvement over the ziplock bag that I was using to hold my sock-in-progress in my purse. Trek calls this fabric pattern Josie because it reminded her of Josie and the Pussycats -- think pink leopard print. I love it, and just take a look at the cute coordinating fabrics inside:

(Sorry about the picture quality. I guess my head was feeling better but my hands were still a bit shaky.) I don't think my head is feeling quite up to lace charts yet, so I'll work on this tonight.

I still haven't decided just what project to take in the car with me this weekend, so I'm going to take a little poll (and lurkers, please participate!). I probably have about 12 hours in the car, and of course these socks will come with since they're my travel project, but I need something else. Here are the options:
  • I could finally start my Sizzle, assuming I finally decide which size to do (I may ask your opinion/help on that as well);
  • I could finally start Forecast, for which the yarn has been waiting for at least a couple months;
  • I could use the Cascade Fixation I bought last week to make another pair of Jaywalkers; or
  • I could just take my Seraphim shawl and hope for the best with the charts in the car.
So, dear readers, what do you think? Which project gets to make the trip to Ann Arbor? Voting ends at 5 p.m. EST on Thursday, August 24.

6 comments:

  1. Use the Cascade Fixation from last week to make a pair of Grown Up Wonky Lace Socks!

    The bag looks good on the black leather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe I like treks suggestion. Also Blah on AAA I am sure they are nice for some stuff, but even with a migrain I coulda changed that tire in 15 minutes. (Okay so I have an associates degree in automotive technology!) I am just too impatient to wait. Glad your head is feeling better. Migrains suck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start on Forecast, it's not polite to make yarn wait for too long. ;)

    Hope you're feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I feel for you on the migraine episode - I am so sorry you had to go through that. Feeling anything less than 100% is the total pits.

    12 hours, aye? I think the shirt is a neat idea. I vote "sizzle." My best to your brother as he starts this new chapter of his life :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell, if you've got the room, take them all! I always take along multiple projects since I never know what I will be in the mood for.

    Sorry to hear about your awful migraine - hope there was no recurring incident today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, poor baby!

    The French Market Bag. You're going to be asked for directions, right? (ANd then possibly ignored). Although Forecast is really, really tempting and Sizzle looks like you could manage it in the car.

    Charts are hard to read in a car. (for me anyway. But then again, charts are hard for me to figure out when I'm staring at them listing off the stitches).

    ReplyDelete