Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Seraphim, Complete

Pattern: Seraphim Shawl by Miriam Felton
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss (70% merino, 30% silk, 220 yards/hank) in colorway Dusk, less than four hanks total
Needles: Addi Turbo US 5 24" circs
Dimensions: 72" wide, 34" deep at center
Mods: none
Started/Completed: August 13/August 30 (makes me wish I'd picked this as my Knitting Olympics project!)

The Verdict: A winner! This yarn was a dream to work with -- soft and silky, with enough wool content to do felted joins when I started a new skein. I estimate that I used somewhere in the range of 750 to 800 yards, leaving me enough (nearly 1 1/2 skeins) to make myself a pair of ankle socks with the remainder. This yarn is so soft that my Lorna's Laces felt rough in comparison when I picked up my current sock-in-progress. My one gripe about this yarn is that it isn't superwash!

As for the pattern, it's very clearly and logically written, as all of Miriam's designs seem to be. I did make a number of mistakes, one of which was a very large one that required me to frog back to the second or third line of the first lace chart, several of which were fixed on wrong-side rows, and a few of which no doubt are still in there. I had no issues with the pattern (my mistakes were entirely the result of not paying attention), and I would definitely knit this one again.

Knitting this shawl in fingering weight (rather than lace weight) yarn is an interesting and enjoyable experience, and as a result the finished product is much more substantial -- and therefore warmer -- than a typical lace shawl. I'd be interested to see how this pattern knits up in lace weight yarn (a lightweight Seraphim?).

I'm sorry for not having a nicer picture to show you. I wanted to do a photo shoot outside and get some natural lighting, but alas, the Western Pennsylvania weather is not cooperating (and now Ernesto is coming our way, grrr).

While Seraphim was blocking last night, I finally got started on this:

Yup, that's the beginning of my Sizzle, about an hour's worth of work that I managed to get in last night. I spent part of my knitting time working on my Steelers socks last night; I've just started the toe on the first sock, and the season opener is next Thursday. You know what that means -- Speed Sock Knitting this weekend! I guess I know how I'll be spending my Labor Day ...

12 comments:

  1. Your Seraphim is GORGEOUS! It almost makes me want to knit one...almost. I'm using the same yarn on a pair of socks & I agree...it is a dream to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seraphin is beautiful, o meglio, bellissimo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! As always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Seraphim is gorgeous, and I love that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Seraphim is beautiful!

    Let me guess....you'll be laboring on socks? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:34 AM

    Wow, your Seraphim looks great! I've been thinking about knitting mine with Gloss too (the same color even)... and now you've given me even more reason to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely breathtaking. the yarn sounds wonderful!

    so how is everyone in pittsburgh handling what happened to the mayor? it's so stunning and sad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the nice comment about my new shrug. I would like to block it, but I'm not sure how to block pure silk. Have you blocked silk before? Any suggestions? Love your new shawl, by the way! That was a really speedy knit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm overlooking my anti-Steelers bias to let you know how great Seraphim looks. So nice to know that I'll have enough yarn - I just got 4 skeins of Gloss in burgundy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knit One has steelers sock yarn that makes wide stripes-just letting you know.

    and seraphim is gorgeous-someday I too will be unafraid to knit lace. Someday soon, I think.

    (another pittsburgher here)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. I love the bit of sheen from the silk on Seraphim. My Gloss color card is winging it's way to me right now. I can't wait to get started now that I've seen yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:11 PM

    Beautiful shawl! I just bought some of the gloss yarn (in that same colour, in fact!) and now I wish I had gotten more of it to use for my Seraphim shawl.

    ReplyDelete