Pages

Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Little Knitting Weekend

Friday evening, just before we went out for dinner, J received an e-mail from some friends of ours, announcing the birth of their son. As soon as we got home, I went digging through the sock yarn scraps and, just a few hours of knitting later, I had these:

Pattern: Miriam's Infant to Toddler Socks
Yarn: Knit Picks Sock Landscape (100% merino), Cape Cod colorway, leftover from the first pair of Jaywalkers
Needles: US 0 dpns
Mods: none

For the picture above, I stuffed the socks with a bit of tissue paper. Here's another view of them flat, so you can see just how cute and itty bitty they are:

These socks are officially my first FO of 2007 -- hooray! I think it's only appropriate that they're socks, as I have a feeling that 2007 will be my year of socks. I fully expect to surpass last year's total of 21 pairs (must break into that sock yarn stash!).
Speaking of stash, there was some stash enhancement this past weekend, thanks to a trip to Knit One. No, I did not violate the yarn diet; all purchases were made with gift cards I received as presents for Hannukah. Want a peek at the haul?

That gorgeous blue there is two skeins of Malabrigo, which I'd been coveting since my last visit to the store. This will become a My So-Called Scarf for moi, as I've grown a little tired of my black pashmina-style scarf with my black winter coat -- I've definitely been needing a little color to help with the SAD. Next to that, in the back, are a skein of Trekking Natura (a wool/bamboo blend) and one of Austermann Step, which has aloe vera and jojoba oil in it and might help with the dry hands. In front are two more skeins of Dale Baby Ull, which is intended to be combined with the two blue skeins leftover from what I originally bought for the glittens for a pair of fair isle Norwegian-style stockings. Finally, you may notice in back what I really needed and what necessitated the trip to the store in the first place: three new pairs of Addis (in US 6 [24" and 32"] and US 4 [32"]).
The 6's are needed for the sweater for my coworker, which is moving along quite nicely. I've finished all the decreases in the body and will put in a couple of increases in the four or so inches left to knit. Then it's just the sleeves (which will be 3/4 length), button bands, and ruffle, and in true SJ fashion, I've begun to really worry I'll run out of yarn. I'm on my fifth skein at present and will likely use most if not all of a sixth for the body. The ruffle is crocheted on, which means it will use up a lot of yarn, and that could spell trouble. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Fortunately yarn supply is not a problem for J's scarf, which I hope will see its completion by the middle of the week (I'm hoping to have it all blocked and ready to take to J when I go visit him in Chicago this weekend). I'm about to join the fourth and final skein, so look for a finished object report this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment