Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My Mysterious Disappearance

Have you been wondering where the promised honeymoon post was the past few days? I know sometimes I can be a little lazy and let things like the blog fall by the wayside when things get crazy, but this time I have a good excuse. Ready for it? I was in the hospital recovering from surgery.

I've just gotten home this afternoon and apparently the car ride and the walk up one flight of steps were so exhausting that I passed out for three hours this afternoon. So because my strength and stamina are clearly not where they should be, I'll give you the abbreviated version of the story.

The Mister was out of town last week, so I spent Saturday getting all the errands and cleaning done around the house so that we could relax when he got home Saturday night. At around 5:30 Saturday evening, while I was watching TV and working on his Seamless Hybrid, I started getting a weird sensation in my lower abdomen and some cramping in my lower back. By the time he got home at 10:45, I was in horrible pain. We finally went to the emergency room about two hours later. They ran blood tests and did a CT scan, but all they could find was that my white blood cell count was up, indicating some sort of infection. They weren't sure what was wrong with me, so they sent me home at about 6 in the morning. Neither of us had really slept, so we both fell immediately into bed -- only to be woken about two hours later by the phone ringing. It was a doctor at the ER; apparently another radiologist had looked at the CT and determined that, although it was hard to see, there was an issue with my appendix and I needed to get back to the ER right away.

We actually wound up going to a different hospital, as a good family friend of ours (a doctor) had called a surgeon he knew and arranged for him to meet us in the emergency room. Within an hour of arriving at the second ER, I was whisked off to surgery for an emergency appendectomy.

The surgery went really well and was done laparoscopically (is that a word?), so I only have three small incisions. I am, however, sore and get tired really easily, so I will likely be taking the rest of the week off from work. The Mister has been wonderful about helping me get around and helping out around the house. I've been able to move from the percocet they were giving me in the hospital to some extra-strength Tylenol, so I'm actually able to stay awake for longer periods of time, and I've even been able to get some knitting done in the last day. (I knew I was really sick on Saturday night when I actually put down my knitting midway through a row.)

I'll be doing my best to keep up with e-mail and blog reading in the next few days, but it all depends on how much strength I have and how long it lasts. I promise I will not forget about the promised honeymoon post; maybe now that I'm sitting in bed all day, I'll have the time to go through and label all the photos and upload them to Flickr.

So that's where I've been, and I hope you'll bear with me while I get back to normal!

21 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh .. been there, done that and at exactly this time of year when I was about 28 I think. Your story sounds so freakishly similar to mine ... are you my long lost twin?

    My only advice is to take it easy and don't overdo it. The painkillers made me feel too good, so I overdid it and paid for it later.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, I wondered where you've been! I figured that you were just catching up after your honeymoon. At least you have an "in" with a doctor! Lay low and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:32 PM

    Wow!! I'm glad you went back and got it taken care of. I hope you heal really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that you're home! Take it easy and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I am SO GLAD that radiologist called you back. I had my appendix taken out the same time as my hysterectomy. Apparently I had appendicitis along with endometriosis.

    It is incredible to me that they were able to use a laproscope to remove your appendix. That is wonderful!

    Sounds like you need to put your feet up, rent some movies and get some serious knitting done! Hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get well soon and rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! Don't worry about us. Just take life at your own pace and get to beeling better soon! Glad the Mister was home for the big adventure. FEEL BETTER SOON!!! ((hug!))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I'm glad your doctors were able to figure out what was wrong and get it fixed relatively quickly. Be gentle with yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well soon and make sure The Mister looks after you properly! Lots of pampering required...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:34 AM

    Oh no! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Oh, my!! I am glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!! BTW, I "get" blocking wires now -- but now I need to order a set!! I am almost done with the shawl, so will be anxious to try blocking with pins first, then the next will be with the wires!!! :) Hope you feel MUCH better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yikes! feel better soon and take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:09 AM

    I guess that's an acceptable excuse for being away from the blog :)

    Seriously though, you are so lucky that they looked at your CT scan a second time!

    Hope you're feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my sweet - please take it nice and slow - recovery can be difficult - but you're a trooper and I know you'll be back at 100% before long - be patient with yourself and allow the time to heal.

    we're all sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:23 PM

    Not one for doing things on a small scale, are you? Couldn't be a hangnail post-wedding/honeymoon, huh? Had to go big time with the appendicitis. Glad to hear all is well though. Get lots of rest, and we'll look forward to seeing you soon at meetup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I'm so glad you're okay! Don't worry about stuff like blogs and emails - just rest and get well. And of course, make the Mister massage your feet. Helps with the healing process. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Here is hoping you get better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no! Rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm thinking there's something to be said for the fact that it happened after the honeymoon and not during!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:25 PM

    Oh my gosh! I hope you're beginning to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:54 PM

    Bless your heart! I hope you are recovering well. Take very good care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete