Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yarn Stockpiling

It appears I may have been a little clairvoyant this past weekend. Saturday afternoon, just hours before the appendicitis reared its ugly head, I made a stop at Knit One to finally use the gift card my bridesmaids gave me. It's almost as if I knew I'd be home for a week and would need some pretty wool to keep me company.

My acquisitions weren't altogether selfish. My main reason for stopping by was to find some good, washable yarn suitable for baby sweaters. This stuff fit the bill perfectly:

Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton in natural green. Dreamy stuff. Someday I'd like a sweater for myself out of this stuff.

I couldn't leave without some treats for myself, especially as it was all free to me. I picked up a couple skeins of Reynold's Soft Sea Wool, which I so enjoyed working with in Aidan's Red Sox sweater (which I certainly hope he's wearing for the World Series!) and the Canada socks. These particular skeins are intended for a pair of Denmark socks (inspired by Pat's).

My real splurge was my very first Claudia Hand Paint, in a gorgeous colorway called Teal Party:


I think this will make a beautiful pair of simple stockinette socks.

If I'm feeling up to it tomorrow, I will get out the swift and wind all of this as well as the new Socks That Rock (which you can see here; I think most people have received their kits by now, but I don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone who hasn't).

Today was a better day. I was able to get out of bed (and actually stay out of bed), put on real clothes, and even make dinner. I spent the better part of the day test knitting a sock pattern. I can't show you pictures or give you any details until the pattern is done, but I can tell you it's knit with worsted weight yarn and thus goes very quickly. I'm also close to finishing the socks for my FIL, and then I will turn my attention back to the sweaters. Trust me when I say I'm making the most of my knitting time!

6 comments:

  1. I would sort of like to lick that Claudia's Hand Paint. But I won't. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:23 AM

    Jenn just cracks me up! The Claudia's handpaint is very nice indeed. I gifted my Spoilee from SP10 with some of it. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely yarn acquisitions! And, what a GREAT idea your bridesmaids had giving you a gift certificate. They must know you very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am itching to make something ... ANYTHING ... with that blue sky alpaca. Sooo nice! I'm enjoying my Claudia Handpainted. About to turn the heel on the first Jeweled Steps sock. Very nice to knit with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purty yarn! Glad to hear you're feeling better : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. drool.... that STR yarn looks EXACTLY like something I want to steal from you. And in your weakened state, I might get away with it too! ;-)

    I'm so glad you went shopping before your appendix decided to jump ship. You got some beautiful yarns!

    ReplyDelete