Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Real Men Wear Knit Socks

The Mister has his first hand-knit socks of 2009.

Pattern: stockinette worked over 64 sts with a 2x2 ribbed cuff, slip-stitch heel, and wide toe
Yarn: Patons Stretch Socks (41% cotton, 39% wool, 13% nylon, 7% elastic), colorway Licorice, two skeins
Needles: two 12" US 1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: January 10/January 23

This yarn was bought on a whim when we were shopping for gift-wrapping supplies at a Michaels in December. Of course, I had to take a swing by the yarn department and saw this new yarn featured at the end of the aisle and on sale. The Mister had been complaining that, much as he liked his wool socks, they made his feet sweat a bit, so I thought the high cotton content in this yarn might be more appealing to him. He approved the color, so into the basket it went.

I liked this yarn, and not just because it was only a couple of bucks a skein. I encountered no big issues and had more than enough in each skein (a whopping 239 yards) to knit The Mister socks to his specifications -- that is, an 8" leg and a 10.5" foot -- with some leftovers. Although I haven't knit with it to know for sure, Knit Picks Risata seems to be a very similar yarn, though perhaps a little softer because its wool is merino. Perhaps the most satisfying thing about this yarn is that I can take a 10-minute drive and pick some up, without having to place an order and wait for it to ship.

The most important critic, of course, is The Mister himself. He's worn these socks twice already since I finished them last week, so I'd say that's a ringing endorsement!

4 comments:

  1. I saw that yarn listed on Michael's website and thought "hmmm" and then forgot all about it. Now that you've given it a good review, I'll have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a ringing endorsement! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:37 PM

    I've seen this yarn and wondered how it is. Now that you've tested it, I'll pick some up next time I see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The socks look great! I got some of the same yarn at Pat Catans. My husband got his first pair of hand knit socks for Christmas. He is hooked. I am on a second pair for Valentines Day....

    ReplyDelete