Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

A Rainbow in Wool

After all that cutting last week, I was a little afraid to touch my vest for a while (you know, just in case it decided to unravel as soon as I tried to pick up stitches or something), so I need a fun interim project. Jen had let me borrow a shawl pattern from her a while ago, and once the thrill/terror from cutting the steeks had subsided, I decided it was time to purchase my own copy of the pattern and use up the free Noro I had in my stash. Just a few days later, I had myself a shawl!

Pattern: Forest Canopy Shawl by Susan Lawrence
Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock (70% wool, 30% nylon), color S229, a little less than one skein
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Dimensions: approximately 27" by 54"
Started/Completed: January 6/January 10
Mods: added three pattern repeats

One skein of yarn was more than enough for this shawl, which made me happy. I might've had enough to squeeze out another repeat, but it would have been very close and wondering if I was going to run out would've made me cranky. Plus, I kinda like how the shawl starts and ends with the same color in the repeat (totally by luck, by the way).

If you're new to lace, this is an exceptionally easy pattern. It has both written and charted directions, and it's easily adaptable to different weights of yarn (just adjust your needle size accordingly). For me, having knit much more complicated lace before, it was a real pleasure to just sit down, memorize the pattern, and knock out an entire shawl in a few days.


I'm still not a huge fan of the Kureyon Sock, but it worked well in this instance for a rustic look. I really do like the stripes -- they worked really well with this not-too-complicated lace pattern.

Now -- on to finishing the vest!

12 comments:

  1. this looks amazing - i think i might check out the pattern to use my one sad ball of Noro sock yarn too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:07 AM

    Those colors are beautiful. I haven't knit with Noro Sock, but have felt it...which is why it's still in the store and not in my stash! But still, the colors are pretty in the Noro line. I really like the purple and bright blue next to each other in your shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cannot believe that you made this in four days. i am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the colors worked out. It looks like you planned it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A truly wonderful object of art. I would drape it over something where I could ogle it all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a FEW DAYS LATER? You are amazing! This would take me six months (if I was lucky)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:05 PM

    That's just beautiful! The colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Gurl, it looks amazing. I thought Kureyon Sock was like bumby and scratchy, but yours doesn't look like that at all. It's so pretty. Girl, I wish I could knit as fast as you. But now I am in the housing market and i have even less time to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! It almost looks like jelly beans, so lovely and colorful.

    And hello, you and a shawl in 4 days? What was the olympic one, a day and a half? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! I don't think I've ever seen that pattern in stripes, you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete