Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Back on the Bandwagon

In typical fashion, I missed the boat on one of those patterns. You know the patterns I'm talking about -- everywhere you look, it seems people are knitting them. In this case, I'm talking about Ishbel. I bought the booklet containing the pattern a couple of months ago, but I couldn't decide on what yarn to use. Finally, I remembered that I had a really pretty skein in my stash that hadn't been touched since I'd purchased it sometime last year (I think).

The reason this hadn't been used? Well, I tried to wind it into a center-pull ball shortly after I purchased it and found that it was horribly tangled. So I promptly put it in the back of the stash and forgot about it until last weekend. When I rediscovered it, I sucked it up and wound it into a ball by hand so I could finally cast on for my shawl. A week later, it was finished:

Pattern: Ishbel by Ysolda Teague from Whimsical Little Knits
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock (100% superwash merino), colorway Persia, less than one skein
Needles: 32" US 6 (4 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: April 17/April 25
Mods: none

There isn't much to say about this shawl that probably hasn't already been said. It's a fun, quick little knit, with just enough lace to be entertaining. The fact that I finished it in a week with a baby in the house says a lot.

I'm looking forward to wearing this in the mornings for my walk into work; it's still been fairly chilly here most mornings, and I've been wearing my Swallowtail Shawl to death the past several weeks. It'll be nice to have an alternate.

I also seem to have caught the lace bug again and have become enamored of small, shawlette-sized pieces, so I've cast on for another one -- Traveling Woman in some of my handspun Falkland. It feels good to be knitting productively again!

13 comments:

Jolene said...

It turned out Fabulous! The color is really great with the pattern too!

DPUTiger said...

Super-speedy, as always. And I really like the colors of that yarn. Go figure. I am nothing if not predictable.

laura said...

unfortunately i can relate to the malabrigo winding issues. :-( nonetheless gorgeous shawl!

Anna said...

What was the resolution to the pattern error?

Pat said...

Beautiful!!
I've not done any of those popular little shawls yet either - Ishbel, Traveling Woman, Aestlight, Damson, Citron and more are all in my queue - maybe this summer...
Traveling Woman will be so pretty in your ASU Falkland!

Kenny said...

That is gorgeous! It really looks like Madeline Tosh's lace yarn colorway that I have. It's so pretty. Back on the bandwagon and no more baby stuff?

Hey, so my sister is pregnant and they don't want to know if it's a boy or a girl, what should I knit them? I thought of an heirloom blanket. Any suggestions sarah?

weezalana said...

That is gorgeous! I have yet to knit that pattern.

Liz T. said...

...can't knit that fast (or beautifully!) and I have no little ones! (except my precious grandsons!) You're an inspiration!

crazycrafter said...

That is SO pretty!

Jen said...

Love the Ishbel! Very beautiful!

Rebecca said...

Are you serious? One week? WOW! I have some nice Hand Maiden that I purchased for Ishbel last year and now I will definitely move it up in my queue. Of course, you knit much faster than I do! It is very, very pretty!

Rachel said...

Quick even while back to work and with a baby. Did I hear the term supermom? I think so....

Octopus Knits said...

Lovely! Your Traveling Woman is going to be spectacular :)