Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

BSJ? Check!

While the knitting was finished some time ago, it is really only after this last weekend that I was able to cross one baby knit off my list officially. Presenting the Socks That Rock Baby Surprise Jacket:


(Before I get into too many details, I must stop and ask your forgiveness for the quality of these photos. By the time I had a minute to take them, there was no natural light to be had.)

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Yarn: Socks That Rock Mediumweight (100% superwash merino) in Muddy Autumn Rainbow
Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm) Addi Turbos
Started/Completed: September 7/September 21
Mods: omitted the buttonholes in favor of a single crochet edging incorporating two button loops

This pattern is an oldie but a goodie, and it's definitely my go-to pattern when there's a baby coming and its sex is going to be a surprise. In this case, the baby in question belongs to a coworker of mine and is due to arrive in mid-December (perhaps even on Rainbow's birthday). The yarn had been in my stash for at least a couple years (since I was last in the Rockin' Sock Club) and seemed like a pretty gender-neutral colorway.

As to the buttons, I had hoped to find some at my LYS but didn't see any that were the right size and material, so I made do with a couple that I found in my button stash. I think this dark green works pretty well with the colors of the yarn, don't you?


Every time I knit this pattern, I'm always enchanted by it -- and I always have to refer to the pattern no matter how familiar I think I am with it! The sweater will be put away for the time being, and I'm very happy to be able to cross it off my list. Don't worry, there are plenty of other baby knits still in line!

4 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned, STR-M, the BSJ and the Muddy Autumn Rainbow colorway are all winners in my book. It's like SuperNeighbor's theory of cooking: combine three ingredients you love, and you'll have a winner of a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to knit this jacket up but I seem to have gotten lazy...It's there. I just haven't gotten around to it....someday I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice! this one is on my to-do list. i like your crocheted buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try knitting this. Everytime I think about it though I get so intimidated. Maybe this will be my inspiration

    ReplyDelete