Sunday, May 20, 2012

Loose Ends

I used a fair amount of time this week to finish up some spinning projects. First was a small amount of fiber that one of several samples Steven gave me before he left town. This particular bit of fiber was guessed to be bison; there was only 16 grams of it, so not enough to really use for a project, but it seemed perfect for this month's challenge in the Ravelry Spindlers group -- the theme was "my precious." I pulled out my Jenkins Turkish (sadly unused for nearly a year), spun up the two cops you saw here last week, and on Monday night I plied. Here's what I got:


It's every bit as soft as it looks. I ended up with approximately 34 yards. No idea what I'll use this for; for now, I'm quite enjoying petting the skein.

Most of my spinning time this past week was devoted to finishing up a rather large project. I had used a little bit of some Paradise Fibers colonial wool top when I did my corespun yarn about a month ago, and as long as I'd already dug out the fiber from deep in the stash, I figured I should probably just spin the rest of it up. I did one bobbin of singles and then chain plied; I weighed the bobbin afterward and discovered I had a little more than 7 ounces worth of fiber on that bobbin, so it's no wonder it took as long as it did! The finished yarn is heavy fingering to sport weight and about 497 yards.


The resulting yarn, being a blend of different types of wool, is not especially soft, but I do like the great mix of colors in it.

There are several spinning projects now in progress. First is a favor for a friend -- I'm spinning up 16 oz. of mystery wool roving.


Only part of the bag would actually fit in the shot -- it's a lot of fiber! I'm spinning this pretty quickly into a two-ply DK to worsted, most likely.

Then there's a big bag full of scoured merino to comb:


More fleece was washed last night, and there's more waiting for me!

1 comment:

Stripeyspots said...

Your merino is reminding me that I'm being very lazy. Need to keep washing that romney...