Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Tiny Tuesday Things

It is Tuesday, right? I love having a long weekend, but it does mess me up for the rest of the week. The really nice thing is that I have another long weekend coming up: Rainbow finishes school this Friday, and all she has that day is an assembly for the "graduation" of the fourth graders, so she'll be done at about 10 a.m. That was a good enough excuse for me to take the day off to spend it with her (and I'm sure there will be some extra crafting time involved as well)!

In addition to all the spinning this weekend, I did a fair amount of knitting as well. I went to see Dear Evan Hansen on Saturday afternoon, and knowing I would have all that theater knitting time, I made sure to get through the gusset decreases of my second ankle sock before then so that I wouldn't have to try to decrease in the dark. I got so much done during the performance that I actually stopped knitting toward the end because I was worried that I was going to overshoot the toe. I didn't, but I was close enough that I went to bed that night with a finished pair of shortie socks.


These were loosely based on the Rose City Rollers pattern, but really all I did was use the look of those socks and impose it on my normal plain vanilla sock recipe (68 stitches on a US 0/2.0 mm needle worked at a gauge of 9 stitches per inch). I had no fears of running out of yarn on the second sock, and that made for a much more relaxing knit. I was very pleasantly surprised at the end when I found that my striping sequence more or less matched up, and that was completely by accident. Because my yarn supply was limited, I didn't wind off any yarn at the beginning to try to start at a particular point in the sequence (which would make it easier to get the second sock to match), so it was pure luck. I don't care so much about my socks matching perfectly, but to be honest I was quite tickled by these stripes. (The yarn, in case you're wondering, is Fibernymph Dye Works Inversibles.)

These socks were my first finish for Stash Dash, which I'm competing in (against myself, of course) again this year. I'm using the event as extra motivation to use up stash, which I guess is kind of the point anyway.

Meanwhile, I cast on a new little project yesterday while sitting on the porch and enjoying the most perfect spring weather I think we've had yet this year. This is the very tiny start to a Flax Light for my nephew in Knit Picks Felici in the colorway Baker Street.


It's been a while since I've knit an actual baby sweater (this is a size 6-12 months), and it's so fun because of how quickly it goes! I started this yesterday afternoon while doing some reading, so it didn't have my full attention, and then knit about an hour or so in the evening after putting Rainbow to bed. Even with that short amount of time, I've already finished all the yoke increases, and today I should get to the split point for the sleeves and body. I'm really enjoying the pattern, too, and I have a feeling that I will likely knit Rainbow and/or myself one in the future.

I also found some time to do some reading over the weekend and completed my first square for Summer Book Bingo. Unfortunately it wasn't a very good book, at least in my opinion. I'd borrowed The Man in the High Castle through Prime Reading because I was hoping it would help me to understand the series, but I found it to be very different and even more confusing. I gave it one star in my Goodreads review. It seems the universe was looking out for me, though, because as I was closing in on the end of that book, I got a notice from the library that my next hold was available, and yesterday as I cast on the sweater I got started on Maybe You Should Talk to Someone. I'm less than 100 pages in and already enjoying it immensely!

4 comments:

  1. I love the FDW Inversibles socks and your baby sweater colorway and project! Sorry your first Book Bingo book was disappointing, but things can only improve! I also read Maybe You Should Talk to Someone and thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing book bingo this summer! I think it is one of the most fun things of the entire summer!

    Those socks - too cute! But, that baby sweater is the winner for me! Anything that you can read while knitting is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love I'm not the only one who knits at the theater! (Although I got cocky at my son's band concert with worsted weight lace and had to tink all that work).

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that sock yarn ... LOVE! sorry Bingo square #1 was such a disappointment ... high hopes for square #2!

    ReplyDelete