Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Counting the Days

It's Thursday, which means I have three more days with Rainbow before she leaves for two weeks at overnight camp. I know she's going to have a great time, and I know I'm going to enjoy getting a break from parenting, but I'm also dreading it because I know I'm going to miss her a ton. It seems appropriate that I managed to finish up something for her before she leaves.


I knit these shortie socks for her after she saw my Rose City Rollers and asked if I could make her a pair (how could I say no?). Because I was using leftovers and yarn supply would be limited, I opted to go toe up using the Fish Lip Kiss Heel template, adding in a smidge of extra length because it's been six months since I last measured her foot. I worked two inches after the heel and did a stretchy bind off to allow the cuff to roll. She was thrilled with them, as evidenced by what I saw last night when I poked my head in her room to tell her it was almost time for bed.



This is definitely my kid -- wearing handknits and reading!

Now that the socks are done, I've been stuffing the project bag with her sweater into my work bag so I can knit on it during the day as well as in the evening. I think I should get to the splitting point today!

Shall we take a look at my Summer Book Bingo card for an update?


I think it's filling up quite nicely! I haven't really thought about any strategies for filling it or getting a bingo; I'm pretty much just reading what interests me and finding a square to fill in that works. I believe I've finished one book since my last reading update, and that's in the square in the top right: All This I Will Give to You. It was a freebie from Amazon at one point, and it sounded interesting (and it is set in Spain, thus earning it that spot on my card). I ended up giving it three stars. It was a decent read, but it went on too long without really building to the climax, so I started losing interest about two-thirds of way through (but of course I was far enough along that I had to finish it).

Provided there are no emergencies at work today, I should finish another book during my lunch break. All this past week I've been listening to the audiobook of the second Inspector Gamache mystery, A Fatal Grace. I've rarely listened to audiobooks in the past because I have trouble staying focused, but I didn't have as much trouble with this one. I even listened to it while I was on a run last weekend, and I'm convinced that the run went so well because I was so involved in listening to the story that I wasn't thinking about how much I hate running! I got this one from the library and only went the audiobook route because the wait was a lot shorter than for the e-book. I think there were still some things that I missed because I wasn't looking at the printed page, but the narrator is excellent and overall I've really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll listen to more in the series in the future.

4 comments:

  1. It's so gratifying to have a request for knitting from your child, and then see how happy she is with the FO. She'll be ecstatic once her sweater is completed! Your Bingo card is coming along quite well, and it sounds like you are having fun playing. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are too cute! But, that picture of Rainbow on the bed reading in said socks... priceless!

    I hope she has so much fun at camp - and that the time flies for you (I remember those days of sending kids off, it was great for the first couple of night - then I was counting the minutes until they were back home!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh boy ... that second photo!! She's gonna rock overnight camp (and so are you)!

    and yay for Bingo! I have that same 19th century square on my card. I feel like we've surely traded messages about this, but ... any interest in a Jane Austen read-along? I've had a great experience listening to them on Librivox (Elizabeth Klett is a talented narrator). I'm not sure all of them could keep you distracted for an entire run, but they could certainly do for a part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz T2:19 PM

    Love the cozy photo of Rainbow all snug as a bug! I’m sure it makes your heart swell to see how much she appreciates the hand knits! And fuels the fire to produce more. Happy camping, Rainbow!

    ReplyDelete