Pages

Thursday, April 01, 2021

Poetry on Thursday

It's the first of April, which happens to be national poetry month. One of my goals this year is to read more poetry, so I thought I'd join in with those of you sharing poems on your blogs with one that's stayed with me for many years.

I did a lot of creative writing as a teenager, primarily poetry. In high school, between my freshman and sophomore years, I attended a summer precollege program at Brandeis University (my mother's alma mater!), where I took two classes. One was about the psychological and physiological effects of stress (I was already thinking about the field that would become my undergraduate major) and the other a creative writing course. For the latter, we studied poems out of The Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Poetry, which I still have and pull out now and then. The poem I am sharing with you today is one that we studied and that had a really powerful effect on me, partly because it was an emotional poem and partly because the style in which it was written reminded me so much of my own. Twenty-five years later, it's still powerful to me, so even though it's a sad poem, I've decided to share it.

Cambridge Elegy
For Henry Averell Gerry, 1941-1960

I hardly know how to speak to you now,
you are so young now, closer to my daughter's age
than mine--but I have been there and seen it, and must
tell you, as the seeing and hearing
spell the world into the deaf-mute's hand.
The tiny dormer windows like the ears of a fox, like the
long row of teats on a pig, still
perk up over the Square, though they're tearing up the
street now, as if digging a grave,
the shovels shrieking on stone like your car
sliding along on its roof after the crash.
How I wanted everyone to die if you had to die,
how sealed into my own world I was,
deaf and blind. What can I tell you now,
now that I know so much and you are a
freshman still, drinking a quart of orange juice and
playing three sets of tennis to cure a hangover, such an
ardent student of the grown-ups! I can tell you
we were right, our bodies were right, life was
really going to be that good, that
pleasurable in every cell.
Suddenly I remember the exact look of your body, but
better than the bright corners of your eyes, or the
light of your face, the rich Long Island
puppy-fat of your thighs, or the slick
chino of your pants bright in the corners of my eyes, I
remember your extraordinary act of courage in
loving me, something which no one but the
blind and halt had done before. You were
fearless, you could drive after a sleepless night
just like a grown-up, and not be afraid, you could
fall asleep at the wheel easily and
never know it, each blond hair of your head--and they were
thickly laid--put out like a filament of light,
twenty years ago. The Charles still
slides by with that ease that made me bitter when I
wanted all things hard as your death was hard;
wanted all things broken and rigid as the
bricks in the sidewalk or your love for me
stopped cell by cell in your young body.
Ave--I went ahead and had the children,
the life of ease and faithfulness, the
palm and the breast, every millimeter of delight in the body,
I took the road we stood on at the start together, I
took it all without you as if
in taking it after all I could most
honor you.

Sharon Olds


The Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Poetry, edited Robert Pack, Sydney Lea, and Jay Parini, (c) 1985 by Bread Loaf Writers' Conference/Middlebury College

7 comments:

  1. That is an extraordinary poem, Sarah, and I thank you for sharing it. Sharon Olds' honest and beautifully detailed sharing of emotion and grief but with a bit of hope, too shows the power of poetry at its best. Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah - A Poem in my pocket was one of my favorite days at preschool when I was teaching - might need to revive that for my grandson this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is just a wonderful poem; a total gut-punch and absolutely gasp-worthy. (I love Sharon Olds!) Thanks so much for sharing it today! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I am awed by the power of these words. A gut-punch, yes. Heart-wrenching, yes. But so painfully beautiful. Thank you for sharing this poem today! Is there anything better than National Poetry Month? XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a powerful poem. Thank you for sharing Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon Olds is a wonderful poet. Such a beautiful poem about grief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A brand new-to-me poet, Sarah - thank you! One of my favorite things about April blogs is learning so much about poetry and finding new favorites.

    ReplyDelete