Pages

Thursday, July 08, 2021

Not What I'd Hoped to Write

Today I had intended to join in on Three on Thursday and share three baby patterns I was thinking of knitting for my new nibling. But yesterday we got some devastating news: When my brother-in-law and sister-in-law went in for the ultrasound to tell them the sex of the baby, they instead learned that there was no heartbeat. So there won't be any baby knitting happening in the near future, at least not for this baby. It's very sad, even though I know this sort of thing happens, probably more often than we realize. Rainbow is taking the news rather hard, as you might expect. The photo above is some of my leftovers and scraps of worsted and DK superwash that we'd pulled out yesterday morning because she was planning on starting a blanket for her new cousin. Now she's decided that she'll make a blanket for my nephew instead. He was here for a couple of hours yesterday while his parents went to the hospital, and I decided to give him his new blanket then rather than waiting for his birthday next month. He didn't seem very excited about it, but I think he was also a bit disoriented; he's too young to understand what's going on, but this was also the first time he'd been in our house in a long time and the first time he'd been here without his parents. He really hasn't spent all that much time with us because of the pandemic, so I imagine we feel a little like strangers to him. But he adjusted (especially after he had a snack), and it's hard to be too sad when there's a chatty toddler around.

I'm sure we'll all be sad for a while, but life goes on. For now, we'll be thankful for what we have and give each other extra hugs. I hope you all do the same.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Miscarriage is a difficult thing, particularly because so many people don't talk about it or acknowledge it. I know you'll find the right words to help your brother and sister-in-law through this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your whole family experiencing this loss and holding you all, and your brother and SIL especially, in my thoughts. I remember having this particular fear while knitting for my own babies-to-be and those of loved ones. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your brother, SiL, and the whole family. There is such hope when a new baby is expected and to have those hopes dashed is incredibly sad. This does happen more than you might expect, and doctors often tell you it's for the best, but that doesn't make it any easier. Sending you all extra hugs, thoughts, and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah - I am so sorry for your family. I will be thinking of Rainbow especially. Such a tough thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia5:22 AM

    Oh Sarah, I am so, so sorry about this. My heart goes out to you, your brother and his wife and the rest of your family. I hope that the pain will become bearable soon - Rainbow made a wise decision to knit a blanket for her cousin, I think! All the love. I'm going to light a candle for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sarah. I am so incredibly sorry. There are just no words at all to make this better. But know that I am holding you all close in thought. May the exuberance of your nephew fill your hearts as you go forward. Sending you all the love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just such sad news. Yes it happens and yes there will be another baby but this one was already in all of your hearts and it needs to be grieved. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to read this news. I am sending warm thoughts to you and your family. I imagine your sister-in-law and brother were grateful to have their son in your care. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart breaks for you all. I'm glad you can be there to support your family and grieve together. Sending love and virtual hugs. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no. I'm so sorry for all of you. I'm glad you're able to at least be together now in order to give some comfort to one another during such a devastating time. Thinking of your family.

    ReplyDelete