Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Pattern Release: Mammillaria

It's been a while -- maybe too long -- since I last published a pattern. The pandemic really killed my creativity for a while, but I can feel it starting to come back. And I'm really excited about this one, especially since the lovely ladies in my Sunday Zoom group oohed and ahhed over my sample.


This design started with the idea for the pleated crown decreases. I had knit them in my head, and it seemed like they would work, but of course I didn't know for sure until I had yarn and needles in hand. And honestly? I think it turned out even better in real life.

As fun as those decreases are, I knew that I didn't want the rest of the hat to be plain, so I've combined them with a hemmed brim and a fun bubble stitch for the body of the hat. As you can see, the texture plays really nicely with a self-striping yarn (this is Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce, my fave), but it'll look just as good in a variegated or solid/semisolid.


The pattern has been graded to three sizes, to fit head circumference of 20 (22, 24) in./51 (56, 61) cm, and you'll need 250 (300, 360) yds./229 (274.5, 329) m of yarn. There is a photo tutorial included for the pleated decreases, for which you'll need two additional DPNs in addition to the needles you prefer for knitting small circumferences in the round. As always, the pattern has been professionally tech edited to ensure that it is correct and easy to follow.

I really hope you love this one as much as I do! You'll find it on Ravelry, Payhip, and LoveCrafts.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, this one is stunning! I've loved those decreases ever since you first showed us photos, and I think it's a wonderful achievement to "knit them in your head" and be able to translate them to real life. I'm off to purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous hat, Sarah. Unique and beautiful. I can't wait to knit one for myself. (Off to purchase now. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to make this hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty hat! It is nice to have another way to use self-striping yarn. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Ahh! It's gorgeous, Sarah. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratultation on this fantastic new design! I already admired it yesterday, and I LOVE the pinwheel decreases!! Especially with the self-striping yarn, this is a gorgeous combo. I hope you have lots and lots of success with that (and hope your designing mojo is now coming back for good!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous, well done and congrats of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay!!!! this is such a smart pattern ... just what I've come to expect from you as a designer - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, Sarah! I think the crown is just stunning! Well done!

    ReplyDelete