Pages

Monday, December 06, 2021

The Hits Keep On Coming

Monday again -- where did the weekend go? I thought it was going to be a slow and relaxing weekend because we were going to be at home, but it filled up with things around the house as it always does. At least we did not need to rush this morning; because Rainbow will be home for school all week, I don't have to pack a lunch or hurry her to get ready to go. She just has to brush her teeth and her hair and sit down at her desk! I'm happy to tell you that she continues to be symptom free, and in addition to the negative PCR test that came back Saturday morning, she tested negative yesterday on a rapid home test. So I think we're in the clear. But of course things couldn't be too calm around here, and yesterday our internet started having issues -- perfectly coinciding with the Mister's departure for a work trip! It seems to be working okay this morning, so all my fingers are crossed that it stays up long enough for us to get through school and work!

In the midst of all this excitement (is that the right word for it?), I have finished one more holiday gift and made a good start on another. The finish was a very quick project, as you'd expect for a bulky-weight hat:


Pattern: Sagamore Flyover Hat (Ravelry link) by Jennifer Lassonde, size 5
Yarn: Fingering weight scraps -- Dale Baby Ull, Knit Picks Stroll, Knit Picks Essential, and Louet Gems -- held triple, totaling 334 yds.
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm) and US 8 (5.0 mm)
Started/Completed: December 1/December 2
Mods: none

This was a very straightforward hat to knit and moved very quickly, despite the fact that holding the yarn triple and using such large needles felt very foreign to my hands, which are more used to fingering weight yarn (held single) and size 0 needles. I knit the largest size for my father-in-law, and it seems like it will fit him based on the fact that it's just a tad roomy on me. The only thing that I'm not completely satisfied with is the decreases, which do not sit entirely flat on top. If/when I knit this again, I might try to modify the pattern to have fewer decreases per round to see if that helps.

I also cast on for Green Blankie 2.0, the replacement blanket for my nephew, on Friday night. (Actually, I cast on Thursday night, but I wasn't happy with where I was alternating skeins and how the switchover was looking, so I ripped and restarted.) The progress keeper shows where I was yesterday morning, so it's moving right along.


Obviously the lace pattern is a bit hard to see right now (and the rainy, gloomy weather we're having today is not helping things), but it will be easier to see when this is blocked. I managed to knit on this through a couple of Zoom meetings yesterday and while troubleshooting the internet issues last night without making a mistake, so I think I'll be in good shape to get this done by sometime next week so it can be delivered before we go to Florida.

One nice bright spot in each day is opening up my Fibernymph Dye Works holiday mini skein each morning, and I've now officially opened half of them. I am just loving the colors!


You'll just have to imagine how much better they look when the lighting isn't so terrible! I'm still pondering what to do with them but am not stressing about it -- I have priorities for right now!

I hope your week is off to a better start than mine (though certainly I can't complain too much, because I know I have it much better than many people right now!). I will be back on Wednesday with a knitting and reading update.

8 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that Rainbow remains symptom-free and that you're able to enjoy the week with her. And I'm crossing my fingers for your internet!

    That advent yarn looks gorgeous! SWOON! You've made so much progress on that blanket in a short period of time and I'm loving that green... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear the Rainbow continues to test negative and doesn't have symptoms. At least it's easy to get ready for school! My fingers are crossed for your internet. Ours went out on Thursday, 15 minutes before an important meeting that John had scheduled. I reset the router and then called Comcast. It was an issue on their end and we all know you can't rush Comcast. They did give us an oddly specific time (3:29) that it would be fixed, and it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that's your holiday mini collection (so far) in crummy light, they must be spectacular in person!
    So happy Rainbow remains in the clear...and here's to not having to make school-day breakfast and lunches! It never fails to delight me when I get to skip those chores :) (You wouldn't think it'd make that much of a difference, but it does--doesn't it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those mini skeins are gorgeous despite the light! I hope your internet stays problem free and those COVID tests stay negative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed y'all stay COVID free for your trip next week. and I cannot wait to see the rest of those mini-skeins, and hear what you're planning. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hat looks great. I am with Mary, I'm holding a good thought that you are all Covid negative so you can travel. Those mini-skeins are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all my fingers crossed for functioning internet while the Mr is gone! Technology is awesome until it isn't!

    I am so glad Rainbow remains COVID free and I hope that remains the case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Power knitting for the win!

    ReplyDelete