Pages

Friday, April 15, 2022

FO Friday

Yesterday, four weeks to the day after I cast on, I finished my sweater. And this one is for me!


Pattern: May(be) Queen by La Maison Rililie, size S/34 in.
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Ridgetop Fingering (80% Romney/20% Falkland) in Ember, 3.04 skeins/1,216 yards/1,112 meters)
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm) and US 2.5 (3.0 mm)
Started/Completed: March 17/April 14
Mods: several; see below

I could not be more pleased with how this second version of this sweater turned out. This time around, I chose the correct size to get just enough positive ease to feel comfortable. I also made a number of modifications based upon my experience knitting this the first time.

To start with, I added length to the collar. The pattern calls for working only a few rounds before starting the short-row shaping to raise the back of the neck, and I thought that the resulting collar was a little flimsy, so I made it a full inch in this version. I also did a tubular cast-on for the first time, and I love the effect. I also love how the twisted ribbing flows right into the panel between the raglan shaping.


I also decided to continue to work the hem at the bottom in the round, rather than making it a split hem, because, for one thing, I didn't enjoy working twisted ribbing flat on the wrong-side rows but also because I didn't think the split point looked stable enough for my taste. I still worked the short-row shaping on the bottom, though, so the resulting effect is a subtle high-low hem.


Of course, as I did the first time around, I worked the sleeves in stockinette with a twisted rib cuff. I measured the sleeves of another sweater that has a similar fit and did the calculations for the sleeves based on those numbers.


A main difference in this version compared to the first is that the yarn is a totally different blend and thus the fabric has a very different feel. This Romney/Falkland blend is coarser and has a bit of a crunchy feel. In my experience, it does soften up over time, as it's worn and handled and washed, but it will never have the same drape as a superwash merino. I'm okay with that; it means that this sweater is going to hold its shape over time.

You'd think that finishing a sweater in mid-April would mean packing it up until the fall, but I see snowflakes in the forecast in my weather app, so perhaps not!

I hope you all have an enjoyable weekend, and a happy Passover or Easter if you're celebrating!

9 comments:

  1. This is a stunning sweater and you look wonderful in it! I think all the knowledge you gained from your first one was a positive thing that helped you make this one the success that it is. I hope you get to wear it a time or two this season, but if not, it will look just as spectacular in the fall. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Happy Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect on you! And you look so happy. Great sweater, great pictures, and Happy Passover to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fantastic! I'm so glad it turned out the way you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your new jumper, you've done a fabulous job! Gorgeous colour too. Happy Easter to you too .
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty sweater. Thank you for writing out your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks perfect on you! I love all the little details. I hope you can enjoy your new sweater a bit before summer hits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is absolutely divine, Sarah! Every little detail! Wear it well! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful sweater. All the details are perfect. I was interested in your comments about the yarn. I am looking for a few alternatives to superwash merino, although it does have its place.

    ReplyDelete