Pages

Friday, May 20, 2022

At Last

Happy Friday, friends -- we've made it to the end of the week! I normally try to post first thing in the morning, but today I wanted to get my walk in early to avoid the worst of the rain moving through here this morning. I took an umbrella just in case and only needed it for the last mile or so.

Today I have a finished project to share! Though, as the Knitmore Girls would say, it's not finished finished finished.


This is the skein of undyed CVM and Romney from the Ross Farm that I've been working on for far too long -- since mid-February, if you can believe it. I have no idea why it took me so long, especially considering that in the past I have spun a couple of pounds of undyed fiber in far less time, but it really doesn't matter. I finished plying yesterday evening, using up nearly all of my singles. You may remember that I had two bobbins of this faun-colored CVM and one of a darker brown Romney, and I plied all three together, but the Romney (as expected, because I had less of it to begin with) ran out and I made a plying bracelet with the singles on the fuller of the two bobbins remaining to use up the rest, so what you're seeing on the top layer here is all CVM. On my to-do list for this afternoon is skeining and washing this yarn.

Now that this spinning project is done, I need some color! As tempted as I am by my most recent club shipments, I am committed to spinning the older stuff first, so I went into my big bag of Southern Cross Fiber stash and pull out this:


This is, quite literally, the oldest SCF fiber in my stash -- it's Primordial from December 2015, and it's on an 80/20 blend of organic Merino and rose fiber. Mary and I emailed a bit back and forth about the rose fiber earlier in the week, and I realized that what I was telling her about it was really just assumptions on my part, so I decided to do a little research. It turns out my assumptions were correct: Rose fiber for spinning is a cellulose that is made from the stems of rose bushes. It's marketed as a form of vegan silk because it has the same shine (which I think you can see in this photo despite the bad lighting). It's made into fiber in much the same way that things like bamboo and tencel are, and it gives the same sort of pearly shine to the wool it's blended with. I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to spin this other than I know it will want to be spun quite finely because of the blend. I'm leaning toward spinning it end to end and chain-plying to preserve the colors and also make it a more mindless spin, but ideas and opinions are welcome.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Your finished handspun is beautiful Sarah and love the colors in the fiber you are getting ready to spin. You inspired me to get my act together to spin my May breed study. Finished it yesterday and just need to ply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I think feeling guilty about how long it was taking me to spin kept me from finishing it, so I'm glad I got over that barrier.

      Delete
  2. That fiber has wonderful color, a great name, and the rose fiber is new to me! I look forward to seeing it as you spin it. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The neutral fiber is quite lovely. It has a warm look to it. I had never heard of a plying bracelet or rose fiber. Interesting on both accounts. The new - old fabric is very pretty. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to see your skein washed and dried - it's going to be natural and gorgeous. And your next project looks delicious! Thank you for the little rose fiber tutorial - how fascinating. I had no idea that was even possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, Sarah! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the oatmeal colour (and what became of it), but yes, I totally understand that the 2015 fibre is way more interesting to spin! It reminds me a little of a peacock's colour spectrum, so I'll be looking forward to see what the finished yarn will look like!

    ReplyDelete