Pages

Friday, May 27, 2022

Finding Comfort in Pages

It's been a rough week, and the news seems to keep getting worse. I am thankful this week for the many strategies I've learned through years of therapy that keep me from giving in to the darkness. I am thankful that my own kid is well and safe. And I am thankful for books that have given me a much-needed distraction when the news has been too much. I am someone who will fixate on upsetting things given the opportunity, so when the events of the world are upsetting, it's good for me to have a way to step back from them for a bit. My crafting, of course, is always soothing, but it often leaves my mind to wander. So I thought today I'd share some of the books I've read this past week that have helped me to focus on something other than the news for a bit.

Since my last reading update, I've finished five books.

I was really excited to read The Island of Missing Trees after hearing several of you rave about it and after waiting for it from the library for quite a while. But I am sorry to say that it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I'm not sure if I set them too high or what, but I didn't think the writing was as strong as it was in the previous book I read by the author. I did really enjoy the chapters that are narrated by a fig tree (yes, you read that correctly) and learning a bit more about the conflict between Greeks and Turks on Cyprus, but the rest fell a bit flat for me. Everything seemed a little too convenient for the characters and how their lives intersected -- certainly in fiction, that's the author's right, but it didn't feel realistic to me. I'll say I enjoyed the book, but it didn't blow me away. I gave it 3 stars.

Inspired by Bonny, I listened to the audiobook of Island of the Blue Dolphins over the course of last Friday. I knew that I had loved this book when I first read it in the fourth(?) grade, but I remembered nothing about it other than the basic premise of the plot. As I listened, I remembered why I had enjoyed it so much as a young girl. Karana is an inspirational character, and I loved her grit and determination in finding a away to survive on her own on her island. I don't think I knew until I got to the author's note at the end, however, that she was based on an actual person. I know this is one of several Scott O'Dell books I read back in elementary school, so perhaps I will revisit more of them soon. I gave this one 4 stars.

I finally finished Young Mungo after just barely starting it when we had our unexpected vacation extension in Florida last month. I mentioned last week that I was finding it troubling to read, but I am really glad that I stuck with it. It is a hard book -- it deals with alcoholism, parental neglect, sexual abuse, violence, homophobia, and many other serious topics -- but all the hard stuff is written about with such sensitivity. I could really see Douglas Stuart's growth as a writer from his debut novel, and I have to say that while this second novel was more difficult for me to read, I also enjoyed it more. I am really looking forward to the discussion about this one with the Read With Us group. I gave it 4 stars.


Last weekend I was looking in my Libby app for an audiobook to keep me company on my walks and while doing the weekly bathroom cleaning, and I found that Take My Hand was available with no wait (surprisingly, because it just came out last month). I'd heard about it on the What Should I Read Next podcast several weeks ago and bookmarked it at the time. This book takes place primarily in the early '70s in Alabama, though there are also some chapters set in more recent years. Civil Townsend is a newly minted nurse who is starting her first job at a federally funded family planning clinic. In the wake of the revelations about the Tuskegee experiment, she uncovers what may be yet another case of the U.S. government taking advantage of people of color and people who are poor. I could not stop listening to this book and finished it the day after I started. I gave it 5 stars and highly recommend it!

Finally, yesterday I finished The Bread the Devil Knead, which I'd picked up several weeks ago when it was a Kindle deal thanks to Katie. At 209 pages, this book wasn't very long, but it was a bit of a challenge to read, both because it's written in Trinidadian Creole and because it deals with some pretty heavy subjects (intimate partner violence, sexual abuse, incest). That said, I quickly grew used to the language -- though I frequently Googled some of the terms to figure out what they were -- and felt it was a worthwhile read. The emotional journey that the main character goes on over the course of the novel, in which we see how the trauma she endured as a child has influenced her decisions and her life as an adult, is both heartbreaking and inspiring. I gave it 4 stars.


I am currently listening to Sorrow and Bliss, which is the last title I have left to have read all the finalists for this year's Women's Prize for Fiction. And I am roughly halfway through Tracks, my latest Louise Erdrich, which I'm hoping to finish up in the next couple of days (it's only around 200 pages or so). It's a long weekend here in the United States this weekend, and I'm officially done with work at 2 p.m. today, so I am hoping for some more good reading to help me work through my sadness and rage.

I wish you the very best weekend possible. Don't forget to look for beauty and joy.

8 comments:

  1. I've also been finding solace and escape in pages this week. I finished Search and Instructions for a Heatwave, while avoiding finishing Young Mungo. I don't know exactly why, other than it's a hard book to read and not something I'm up to tackling this week. I think I may need to re-listen to Charlotte's Web (read by E.B. White himself) for some deep solace this weekend. Wishing you a weekend of kindness, protection, and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Take My Hand and have The Bread the Devil Knead on my kindle. Might move it up on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You read a great variety of books this last little while! I really liked Sorrow and Bliss and I have The Bread the Devil Knead on my Kindle right now, along with a bunch of others so I need to get my reading butt in gear! I'm hoping to finish When We Were Birds by Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read many difficult books but Young Mungo sounds like Shuggy 2.0. I.just.can't. Take My Hand is next on my 'summer' reading list and I'm also waiting for Firekeeper's Daughter. Reading has been my main activity since the beginning of the pandemic and it has become my island of solace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful week of books! Sorry that Island of the Missing Trees didn't land quite right for you - I loved a lot about it in the moment while reading it, but I will say that it's somewhat forgettable. I could tell you the general plot of the story, but not what got me so excited about it. Isn't it funny how time shifts our perspective on books? (or mine, at least).

    I think I also gave The Bread the Devil Knead 4 stars. I was really impressed with the way the author wrote the main character and her biggest supporters. I loved how they stuck with her and loved her, no matter what she decided along the way. It's exactly how I was taught to respond to Domestic violence/sexual assault survivors when I worked for my area crisis center. I'm still hoping for a Ruth Ozeki win, but will be ecstatic if it's Erdrich.

    I hope your week starts off well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You've read some pretty heavy books recently. I loved Island of the Missing Trees and I did not like Young Mungo at all! Island of the Blue Dolphins is my perfect book now - easy going and I have the benefit of not remembering that I ever read it as a child! I'm also in the midst of Olympus, Texas which is just ok for me - makes me think of Peyton Place! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... these books! I am almost done with The Island of Missing Trees and confess, I find myself wandering off while listening. I had higher hopes for it. Sigh. And I am with you on eager for our Read with Us discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started Bread this morning - it's the only one I haven't read for the short list and Fiction Matters is hosting a discussion on Sunday. You know I HAD to read the whole list so I'd feel good about participating :-)

    ReplyDelete