Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Unraveled, Week 20/2022

Is it really Wednesday already? At least I am saved from having to come up with a post topic, because Wednesdays mean linking up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk about making and reading!

I will spare you another photo of my brother's sweater and Rainbow's Hitchhiker looking very similar to the last time you saw them, because they haven't changed much. I did manage to finish the last bobbin of singles on Monday, and yesterday I started plying the three together. I'm afraid the plied yarn isn't going to be very exciting, but we knew that going in.


The finished skein is intended to be used for the colorwork portion of the matching sweaters I'm planning to knit for me and Rainbow with the green combo spin yarn I finished earlier in the year, assuming I have enough yardage. This skein has been in progress for literally months, which is really unlike me, so I'm eager to get it done and move on to something with color.

Yesterday I was forced to cast on a new project -- yep, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Last night was a showcase of all the performing arts groups at Rainbow's middle school (she's in the choir). I didn't have a project that I could take along that would be suitable to work on in a dark auditorium, so I started a new pair socks, appropriately for Rainbow.


You haven't seen this yarn (or the project bag, for that matter) yet because it's brand new -- it arrived in the mail on Monday. Yes, that's right, I bought new yarn! Even though I am trying to work from stash this year, I never prohibited myself from buying yarn, and I don't think I've actually bought any since I went to Rhinebeck last year. This particular package of yarn, project bag, and stitch markers (not shown) is an exclusive Down Cellar Studio Splash Pad Party product, and after resisting it once and continuing to think about it, I finally made the purchase when I found there were still some available (and right now it looks like only one is left). The yarn is from Fibernymph Dye Works in the colorway You're Mer-Mazing, and the coordinating mermaid-themed bag and stitch markers are from AdoreKnit. The Splash Pad Party doesn't officially kick off until later in the month, but WIPs are permitted in this event, so I figured it was okay to get started.

Reading has been a bit slow this past week, for much the same reason that crafting hasn't seen a lot of progress, but I have managed to finish two books.


I had been on the waiting list for Ann Patchett's essay collection These Precious Days for a long time, and the wait was well worth it. You know that a book is a good one when you simultaneously don't want it to end but also don't bother to slow down your reading. That's how this collection was for me. The writing is excellent and the emotions some of these essays evoked were strong. I've previously read three of Ann Patchett's novels, two of which I loved and one that I found just okay, but this collection really made me appreciate her more as a writer and made me want to read much more of her writing. I gave it 5 stars.


I'd had Michelle Zauner's memoir Crying in H Mart on my TBR list since it came out last year but never got around to putting it on hold at the library, so when it came up in our Zoom session on Sunday, I looked for it in Libby and discovered it was available in both formats (ebook and audiobook) with no wait. I chose to listen, which is fast becoming my preferred format for memoirs read by the author, and though it was a sad read, I really enjoyed it. Reading about Korean cuisine made me think of my college roommate and her sister, who became good friends and fed me my first kimchi. I gave this book 4 stars.



I'm currently right about halfway through Young Mungo (I got to an upsetting part and had to put it down for a bit) and The Island of Missing Trees, which was another long-awaited library hold.

What are you making and reading this week?

14 comments:

  1. Your spinning is always lovely, even if it's not an "exciting" color. And those socks! I do like the stripe sequence so far and went to FDW where I saw lots of striping colorways I might want. Decisions, decisions! Ann Patchett's first collection of essays is called This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage and you might enjoy it if you haven't already read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those upsetting parts in Mungo are so hard but in the end I was happy to have pushed through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found much of Mungo to be upsetting or just miserable/awful. I finished it and am glad I did...but I did not like it at all. Love your new project bag and the yarn - they will be adorable socks for Rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those mermaid stripes are so fun! Happy sigh... I loved These Precious Days and I'm glad you did, too. I think you'd also enjoy Mary Laura Philpott's Bomb Shelter (which is probably a very long wait right now, but she narrates the audio and it's perfection - I might have just a tiny girl crush on both Ann and Mary Laura, and of course we're on a first name basis)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading: A Bird in the Hand by Ann Cleeves. It's okay. Not gripping. I am ready to get back to Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series. I enjoy her writing style more.
    Knitting: End is in sight for my May by Bristol Ivy https://ravel.me/may-18 I have an Oban Cardigan on needles as well but haven't wanted to concentrate on cables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read Ann Cleeves's Shetland series, but there is no one I love more than Gamache!

      Delete
  6. What a fun yarn/bag combo! I'm glad you decided to treat yourself :) So glad you found some books you enjoyed this week. I love Ann Patchett's essays so I'll be looking for this one. And I've been meaning to read Crying in H Mart, but haven't gotten to it yet.

    I hope you're enjoying the Island of the Missing Trees! Sorry about Mungo - those seem like really hard books to read and I'm avoiding them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely spinning Sarah and the yarn for your sock knitting is awesome, such cheery colors. I am one not to finish a book if I don’t like it or find certain things upsetting or distasteful, they go and are never picked up again. To me my time reading should be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually force myself to finish books I'm not enjoying, but this is for a book discussion group, for one thing, and I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it -- the writing is very good, it's just that the subject matter is sad.

      Delete
  8. Lovely spinning...and I think that neutral color is really lovely! And yay that you have gotten to the plying part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the colors in your new socks. :-) I just finished listening to Crying in H Mart, too, and found it to be a beautiful memoir. And I really loved Ann Patchett's short story collectionm, too. (Seriously, I wish I was her friend.) I, too, am struggling with Young Mungo. It's taking me a long time to read because I need space between the hard parts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that yarn and matching project bag! There's nothing like fresh yarn, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that sock yarn looks like summer fun. There is nothing wrong with a new project knit with a fresh skein of yarn. I also found this book of Patchett's essays to be very good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:44 PM

    The socks look great and I really love the project bag! It really looks like summer and beach-worthy! Ann Pattchett rings a bell for reasons unknown right now, maybe the library has a copy. :) (I'm reading my way through the Yarn Harlot's books again)

    ReplyDelete