Pages

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Finished: Plain Vanilla Socks

Pattern: Basic stockinette sock worked over 64 stitches
Yarn: Online Supersocke, color 770, one 100 g skein
Needles: two US 1 12" Addi Turbo Circs
Started/Completed: February 28/March 6

These are my March Socks for SAM3, but they certainly won't be my only pair for the month, judging by my sock knitting performance in February. After the last pair I knit went so quickly and were so satisfying to knit, I needed another purely stockinette fix. This yarn at least kept things interesting with its self-patterning; I'm convinced that using self-patterning or self-striping yarn makes you knit it faster, since you can't wait to see the next pattern or stripe take shape.

This yarn wasn't entirely enjoyable, however. I found it to be quite rough and scratchy, especially compared to the Austermann Step. These socks will need a good soak or two to soften them up before I can even think of wearing them. At least it came from the stash!

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the socks! Here from SAM3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out quite nicely! Isn't it fn to do a plain pattern with stripey sock yarn? It makes everything look more complicated than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your socks are so cute! I totally agree with you - self striping yarn does seem to go faster. In terms of the scratchy socks, my favorite pair turned out to be the ones that were the scratchiest - they seem to hold up better with wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very first pair of socks were made with Online Supersocke, I didn't think it was scratchy at the time, but now that I've made socks with Merino wool, maybe I would. Love the socks!

    ReplyDelete