Pages

Thursday, August 24, 2017

At a Loss

After all the knitting I did last week to finish up projects for Stash Dash, I started the week without much direction as to what to do next. I knew that I needed something for my lunchtime knitting at work, so I grabbed some Fibernymph Dye Works Cozy and started another Rainbrioche hat, this time for Rainbow (using the leftovers from my version, with the colors reversed).


She had tried on mine when I finished it and claimed that it fit, but I could tell that it was a bit big. So for hers, I went down one needle size to make the circumference a bit smaller and also eliminated the first pattern repeat so it's not quite as tall. I'm nearly finished, probably because it's been going a lot faster than the first hat thanks to my increased familiarity with the pattern and the technique. It looks like I should have some yarn leftover, which means that there may be some pompom making in the near future.

I also decided to cast on a new pair of socks last night -- and these are for Rainbow as well. I bought the My First Regia specifically for her while we were on vacation, so after dinner last night, we traced her foot and I made a template to make her some toe-up Fish Lips Kiss Heel socks. It's been a long time since I last made her socks (I did it once when she was little and swore off them because her feet were growing so fast), and it's amazing just how big her feet are now.


I haven't done much so far, but I think these should be pretty fast once I've finished the increases. I plan to pretty much knit until I run out of yarn or she declares them tall enough, whichever comes first.

Aside from those two projects, I'm feeling kind of lost as to what to cast on next. I would like to start a sweater (perhaps the Copperplate that I swatched for months ago), but I'm not sure I'm ready for sweater weather just yet and may not want to tempt fate. I know I probably should do some swatching for some design projects in the pipeline, but then swatching delays the instant gratification of casting on right away. In lieu of actually making the decision, I've just been spinning and catching up on video podcasts the past few evenings, and really that's not a bad thing. I'm sure I'll get over this indecision soon enough, especially as I have a long weekend coming up -- I am off Monday to take Rainbow to the dentist and then a parent/teacher conference with her new teacher, and then I'm taking off Tuesday as well to take her to her first (half) day of school and then go to the eye doctor. I'll be pretty useless for most of the day due to getting my eyes dilated, so I'll have to knit or spin something simple. I suppose there are worse ways to spend a day off!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you share your knitting tips! It is most appreciated and so helpful! I love the sock yarn!! And, I will be sending you all good thoughts for the start of school and eye dr appts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally concur about swatching- I know I have to do it, and I can't cast on until I do it, but I really just want to cast on right away!

    ReplyDelete