Pages

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Thinking Ahead

As I get closer and closer to my vacation, I find I am spending more and more time trying to figure out what crafting supplies to take. Knitting is a given -- I'll take a pair of socks for the actual travel, and likely a larger project as well, though I'm undecided as to whether to take my Driftwood Tee (as it's unlikely I'll finish all the knitting before we leave) or leave it at home and take yarn to start a new project (namely a Wonder Woman Wrap using some of the yarn I bought at SSK). Obviously I want to finish up the tee as quickly as possible so that I can count the meterage for Stash Dash and possibly wear it while we are away, but then I have to think about blocking and seaming (though I suppose I could just put some pins in my checked bag). But I worry that I'd finish it up too soon and then would be left with just socks to knit on for the rest of the trip. I suppose I could take both -- a couple of skeins of fingering weight yarn and a circular needles don't take up that much space -- but I'll probably wait until just before the trip to make a final decision. Plus I have to decide if I want to take a spindle project with me or not. Sometimes I think packing the craft materials for a trip is harder than packing clothes!

In any case, I have continued to make progress on my Kerameia Cowl and have just about finished -- I just need to finish binding off the last 20 or 30 stitches and weave in my ends.


That means I need to get another lunchtime knitting-suitable project ready, so I've wound up two skeins of Fibernymph Dye Works Cozy to start a Rainbrioche hat.


After doing a breakout session with AmyBeth on brioche knitting at SSK, I'm feeling up to the challenge of trying some brioche with shaping. I will likely have enough yarn for two hats, so I may just reverse the colors and knit a second one (for me, Rainbow, or some unknown gift recipient) while I'm at it if the first attempt goes well.

The weekend ahead looks like a good one for crafting. Rainbow is going to sleep over at her grandparents', so I'm hoping to take a trip out to Knitsburgh Yarn Shop to visit and see what's new since I was last there. There should also be a lot of plying happening over the next several days, as I finally finished up the third bobbin of Charollais singles (for now, I'm ignoring the fact that there are three more bobbins to spin) and started plying last night. I hope whatever you have planned for the weekend is fun and gives you lots of time for crafting!

1 comment:

  1. I am working on cowl #2 and have plans to knit another with more contrasting yarns. Great pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete