Pages

Monday, February 14, 2022

Showing Love with Wool

It's a snowy Valentine's Day here in Pittsburgh. After unseasonably warm temperatures on Friday (which we're supposed to see again midweek), we were back into single digits when we got up this morning, so I guess winter isn't done with us just yet.

The weekend was fairly calm, and that meant getting a number of things done, among them a new pair of socks for Rainbow:


At her pediatrician appointment on Friday, we learned that she's grown almost three inches in the last year, so I made these with just a bit of extra length so that she wouldn't outgrow them instantaneously. Though you can't see from the photo, they're shorter socks (two inches of ribbing and an inch of stockinette for the leg only), and I used my new heel at her request. The yarn is Hedgehog Fibres Twist Sock, a superwash BFL/nylon base that felt pretty sturdy as I knit. I won this skein in a giveaway a number of years ago and have been saving it ever since, and she has been so enthusiastic about the colors that it was absolutely the right time to use it.

Speaking of enthusiastic, I officially gave her the sweater and she insisted on wearing it on Saturday. I don't think she took it off until it was time to change for bed, which is saying a lot for a kid who runs warm.


We don't really make a big deal about Valentine's Day in this house -- we exchange cards and sometimes small gifts and enjoy some treats -- but I really can't think of a better way to show this girl how much I love her than to cover her in wool. And she gives me no better gift than accepting my hand-knit gifts with excitement and wearing them.

7 comments:

  1. She looks so happy in her new sweater! You're right, nothing says "I Love You" like knitting for someone. (Also, great socks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that beaming face in HER lovely new sweater! She's growing up wonderfully, Sarah (and just plain old growing, too, it sounds like!). Enjoy every moment. (Those socks are very cool, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rainbow looks so grown up! As well as smitten with her new sweater. (What a perfect fit!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wool knit into socks and a sweater is the perfect Valentine. Rainbow is so sweet. I know you enjoy your time with her but soak it up because it goes by so fast. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so satisfying to knit for a recipient who loves and appreciates our efforts. I'm glad Rainbow loves the things you make for her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the best joy in life to cover your loved ones in wool and have them actually wear the gift! :)

    Rainbow's smiling face says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. see someone wear something I've made is like a two-fold gift back to me ... I'd say Rainbow covered in wool is the perfect Valentine!

    ReplyDelete