Pages

Monday, April 29, 2024

Better in 2024: April

It's been a very strange month, with much going on at work and at home and with three seasons' worth of weather. But, for a change, April has felt like it was truly a month long, and I was not terribly surprised to find it the last Monday of the month today. As per usual, it's time for my monthly One Little Word check-in, with thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-ups.


Earlier in the month, I focused on the very physical side of Better -- namely feeling like my normal self after going through cetirizine withdrawal. I knew to expect the extreme itchiness, but I wasn't truly prepared to feel just generally off or for the anxiety that feeling would cause. Once I realized what was going on, though, I felt less stressed and was able to focus on the slight improvements each day brought. And it was a huge relief to wake up last weekend, having slept enough and woken feeling like myself again.

That wasn't the only lesson I got from Better this month. I don't think I've mentioned it on the blog in any detail, but there's been a lot of upheaval at work in the last several months. Late last summer, HR completed a long project of completely reorganizing all the job classifications at the university so that there would be fewer of them overall and so that there'd be wider applicability of a given job classification across many different areas (given the size of the university, you can imagine what a huge job that is). This is a project that has been in the works for years but one that apparently didn't have enough checks and balances worked into it because when I learned my new job classification, I discovered that -- without any input from my, my supervisor, or anyone I work with directly -- I'd essentially been demoted to a job that required total supervision and only a high school diploma, which was even a step below the job description when I was originally hired 18+ years ago. On top of that, at the end of last month, the head of my unit reorganized the entire office, moving my supervisor and me to a different section of it, and issued a mandate that everyone in the office should be there in person an average of two or three days a week. The job classification issue has been top of mind for me for months, and with the full support of my supervisor, we've been working with the powers that be to have it changed. But the in-person mandate was a complete surprise to me, and not a good one. I am much more productive working at home, when I don't have the distractions of the office around and can start early or work late if I need to because I'm already at my computer and can work it in around whatever I'm doing at the house. There's also the matter of being able to pick Mo up from school in the middle of the afternoon, which I couldn't do if I were in the office. So where does Better come up in all of this? Let's just say that this whole situation has made me feel frustrated, unappreciated, and (quite frankly) used by my employer, and thus I've felt a need to be Better about speaking up for myself. Although the benefits of this job are good, the pay has always been, quite bluntly, crap, and while I generally enjoy my job (because I'm darn good at it), there are always other options out there. I know for a fact that my office would get a lot worse off if I wasn't there to catch and correct the mistakes, and there's some power in that. The future is still murky, but I am feeling better about things after having made my opinions known.

And now, speaking of work, I have a ton of it to get to. Hope your week is off to a good start and it's been a good month for your One Little Word!

15 comments:

  1. Getting better at speaking up for yourself is a huge thing! I can imagine that the HR project was quite daunting but it doesn't sound like it worked very well for individual positions. When I worked in the school libraries the pay was crap, but thankfully my supervisors agreed that some flexibility would help make up for that. You've proven over many years that you can be productive working at home, and I hope you continue to speak up for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I feel your work pain. (And I am so glad to be retired!!). I hope it can all work out quickly to your benefit Sarah. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a LOT to carry--for a while now. I'm relieved to hear you feel Better for having spoken up. (And it sounds like your immediate supervisor is very supportive, which is a relief.) I can relate. When I worked for a college in Colorado, my dean was the best boss EVER. (He let me bring my dog to the office. When I had my first child, he let me work from home. It was a dream.) And then he moved to Flagstaff. I was devastated. The interim dean was a 180; it significantly impacted my quality of life. (And work, for that matter!) It was a stressful several months, and I had to make a hard decision at the end of it. But it does make a difference when you feel like you have some agency. I'll be thinking of you as you move forward with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One's supervisor makes an enormous difference in whether or not one is happy at work. Glad you have a good one. My higher ed workplace is also going through similar stress, though its main approach is to reduce staff size (and therefore expenses) through attrition. This also has multiple negative consequences! I feel your pain. Glad you are able to benefit from a mindset shift by focusing on your word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've also had to deal with reduced staff! And I've taken on more work as a consequence, though it's never really been recognized.

      Delete
  5. Best wishes on the job front. I know you'll find the right solution for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking up for yourself is darn difficult, especially in the workplace. I'm glad you have the support of your supervisor. It sounds as if you are in a very frustrating situation. I'll hold some good thoughts that the stress of all this is resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a frustration, Sarah! Whenever "they" (whoever "they" may be) start messing with job classifications . . . it's usually Trouble. It sounds like you are in a BETTER position than you've been in before to advocate for yourself -- and take some action - to get a BETTER job with BETTER pay. (Grrrrrrr. I'm just so angry on your behalf right now . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness Sarah, I am so sorry to hear this and can only imagine what you must feel. The first of the year my company changed remote requirements and now require all remote associates who live within 45 minutes of one of our home office campus’s to work 3 days in office and 2 days remote. That caused a lot of emotional upheavals and so much more additional stress. I truly hope it works out to your benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see what happens. My supervisor has assured me that if I am required to be in the office, I could work around school pick-up so that I don't have to run around like a crazy person on those days, which I appreciate. But the fact remains that there are very few good reasons for me to be there.

      Delete
  9. Well, there certainly doesn't sound like anything BETTER about your change in job classification and status. I hope that your voice and your supervisor's urging will get things changed truly for the BETTER so that this is all resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gah, finally catching up here, and didn't intend to leave comments on older posts, but couldn't let this one go by ... I'm so sorry this is happening to you at work and glad you've found the courage to speak up for yourself. Securing your supervisor's backing is a great first step. Here's to getting to a BETTER place, which could mean someplace new and different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sarah. Ugh, just UGH. But I love how you are using your word to be a better advocate for yourself! And how you are not underselling your abilities!! I hope you find a good solution (or a better job!) XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry that your employer does not appreciate your value! That would make me feel angry and frustrated, as it does you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete