Pages

Monday, March 06, 2006

Possible Solution?

I think -- THINK -- I may have found a solution to my yarn shortage program. Last night I unraveled the two swatches I did at the beginning of this project. Lacking a niddy noddy or any other proper tool, I wrapped my yarn around the case of my sewing machine, which is about 51" around. My rough estimate is that I've got another 30 yards (that's an underestimate) to work with, and I'm hoping and praying that that will be enough. If not, I'll have to rely on the kindness of other knitters. Thank you to those who left suggestions for finding additional Vanilla. A big thank you to Miriam to posting about my plight on her blog! She's not only an amazing designer, she's also a very nice person! (Wished I lived closer to Utah so I could meet you, M!) Here's what the frogged swatches looked like:

Mmm, Vanilla yarn ramen! These took a little bath last night and are now ready to become border stitches of Blanche-Neige. I'm going to attempt to start one border tonight. I suspect I have more yarn than I think I do, and I certainly feel more confident with this extra yarn. I figure it can't hurt to just start the knitting and see how far I can get with what I have. If I run out, I'm only back where I thought I was.

I blocked the second sleeve last night and now all the pieces are ready for finishing. Here's a semi-aerial view of the sweater as she is now (apologies for the not-so-good picture; I took it standing on my bed and holding the camera over my head to get it all in):


If you look carefully, you can see my toes there are the bottom! And is it just me, or do the arms look almost as big at the back? Good thing I know that when this gets sewn up, it actually looks like a garment.

Finally, remember this post when I was all-sock-yarn-all-the-time? Well take a gander at what arrived on Saturday. Oooh. Ahhh. I've already cast on for the first pair for J (Gentleman's Plain Winter Sock in that gray shade you see at the top). I started it Saturday afternoon and already have about 6 inches done on the leg.

1 comment:

  1. awe! thanks! I'm gonna be in Philadelphia later this month if you wanna make the drive. I'm meeting Naomi of "An Ent Knits" for some knitting while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete