Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Trick and a Treat and Ubiquitous Socks

Seeing what [intentional] felting does to wool never ceases to amaze and excite me. Case in point: pumpkin before felting ...

and after ...

Pattern: 12:01 by Nathania Apple, October '06 MagKnits
Yarn: Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian highland wool), color 7824/Burnt Orange (2 skeins) and color 2445/Shire (1 skein)
Needles: US 8 dpns and circs
Mods: Many. To begin with, I used much smaller needles than the pattern called for (US 8s instead of US 13s, which I frankly didn't have on hand). I also doubled rather than tripled the yarn, which was hard enough on the hands, and added a few extra rows in the middle for some added depth. I have a feeling that this adorable bag turns out much bigger, even after felting, if you follow the instructions as written, but I like this size. It'll stand in for my candy dish on my desk at work for the rest of the month and then might show up as a decoration for Thanksgiving.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, it's back to the holiday knitting. Specifically, I'm focusing on these right now:

Color is off, as usual (I guess the camera couldn't handle navy yarn against the red rug as a background), but here are the nearly complete legs for the socks for my future FIL. They're relatively slow going at 80 stitches -- well, I guess 160 -- per round and a purled pattern, but at least when I'm done there's no second sock to knit.

Tomorrow is knitting night at the Waterworks Barnes & Noble with, I expect, all the usual characters. I'll be a bit late, as J and I are meeting a friend for dinner down the road, but I will be bringing Lady Eleanor and her pretty wool/soy yarn for attendees to pet. Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, you know me, I'm all about the yarn petting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, you know me, I'm all about the yarn petting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you and Jenn at knitting. I nearly forgot that it was tonight!

    ReplyDelete