Pages

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Twofer

Hello, dear readers -- if indeed there are any of you left! I must apologize for my lax blogging in the past week. Work happened, and then Yom Kippur happened, and then recovery from Yom Kippur happened. I am counting the hours until the weekend, because I need to sleep and sit down and do nothing for more than a few minutes.

The good news is, since I've been offline for so long, tonight you get two FOs for the price of one! Let's get right into it, shall we? First off, I give you ...

TWINS!
Pattern: Gentleman's (and Lady's!) Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Knit Picks Essential (75% superwash wool, 25% nylon) in Burgundy, four skeins total
Needles: His - US 1, Hers - US 0
Mods: I used a double strand of yarn to cast on for a stretchier leg opening for all but one of these socks -- specifically the first one of mine. Dummy that I am, I didn't bother pulling out the original sock when I finally started its mate to notice that I hadn't doubled the yarn the first time around, so the tops of my socks don't match. Oopsie. I guess it won't matter much, since no one will really see the tops of my socks, but I might have to switch off so that one foot doesn't loose circulation all the time.

In all fairness, only one of these socks (the one second from the left, if you care to know) is the real FO. I thought it was high time this sock finally had a mate; it was looking so lonely in the sock drawer!

Next up: I spy with my little eye something ...

GREEN!
Pattern: Tivoli by Grumperina (August '05 Mag Knits)
Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport (60% pima cotton, 40% Modal) in Grass, 5 1/2 skeins including gauge swatch
Needles: US 6 circs (really crappy ones at that)
Mods: none

Yes, this that green thing you got a peek at last week, finished later that evening. I then "blocked" it with an iron on high steam, which although it got the edges to lay a bit flatter also had the unexpected effect of making the fabric streeeeeetch. Can you see how baggy this thing is on me? (It's not that apparent since I'm holding my shoulders back so it doesn't sag in the front.) I had another shot (from the back) to show you just how baggy it is, but Blogger is being a poopyhead again and won't let me load more than two pictures, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I used what was left of the sixth skein of yarn to knit up a test swatch that'll be going in the laundry with the next load of darks to test shrinkage, since this sweater obviously needs a little of it to fit the way it should.

And by the way, as much as I love how narrow my hips look in this picture, I'm not such a fan of how, um, large the girls look. But you know who my regular photographer is, so you understand, don'tcha?

Next post: it's Socktober! Find out about the three socks I'm currently knitting PLUS the beginnings of my holiday knitting.

5 comments:

  1. Awww, matching socks! All your FO's look great, you've been knitting like crazy!

    When I use cotton, I try to remember to knit it tighter than I think I need because I find that it stretches out over time. Hopefully a trip through the dryer will help it out.

    There's nothing as annoying as putting on a shirt, looking in a mirror and "hello here is my chest!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:52 AM

    I've made Tivoli/Picovoli also, but I used the yarn called for in the pattern so I didn't have this stretching experience. In fact, I had to block it to make it bigger.

    Your socks look good too! I'm going to have fun checking out your blog.

    Your Sockret Pal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what size of Tivoli did you knit? I've got some yarn to start it, but haven't yet. I bought 5 balls and I'm wondering if I'll have enough. I want to make it nice and fitted though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mim, I did the 36. Until I got the iron near it, it was a much more fitted top. I'm hoping a spin in the washer and dryer will get it back to its intended size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Twins! They look great. So does Tivoli for that matter.

    ReplyDelete