Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2007

What now?

Now that the Baby Surprise Jacket is done and ready to go, and it's too hot to sit with Forecast in my lap to finish it, there was nothing left to do but go back to my old standby: socks.

Last night I started the first of my Knee High to a Grasshopper socks (the pattern for the most recent Rockin' Sock Club shipment):

The ball 'o yarn might look a little small, but that's only because I split the skein into two center-pull balls. This pattern is another toe-up, so I thought this would be the way to maximize the length of each sock. Even though I did some calculations to try to get two balls of roughly the same size, one is noticeably larger than the other; I'm starting with the smaller of the two, so we'll see how far this gets me.

For tonight, however, my main goal is to finish up the mate to this little cutie:

You may recognize the pattern -- it's my own Baby Ribs, but sized down for a newborn. I'm into the heel flap of the second sock and will be knitting furiously through Grey's tonight.

We're headed to Chicago for the weekend tomorrow -- keep your fingers crossed for cute pictures of a baby in handknits when I get back!

5 comments:

  1. Have fun in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not find time for yarn shops, but certainly should be able to sneak in some Pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tension while winding could account for the difference in the sizes. Using a food scale is my favorite way to split a skein of yarn! Have fun in Chi-town. I know way too many people (including my in-laws) who live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:30 PM

    About the Baby Ribs socks, how did you resize your pattern for the smaller socks? The reason I ask - I want to make a pair for my nephew who is about 3 months old and I can't tell by the original picture where you posted the pattern what size they would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:48 PM

    Thank you for the great answer you gave me! It totally made sense.

    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete