Pages

Monday, September 17, 2007

It Was the Sock That Never Ends ...

Or so it seemed. But over the weekend, thanks to some seriously determined knitting, the second sock was finished.


Pattern: Garter Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch
Yarn: Brown Sheep Co. Wildfoote (75% superwash wool, 25% nylon), colorway Blue Blood Red (yes, I assure you these socks are bright red!), two skeins
Needles: one US 1 (2.5 mm) 32" Knit Picks circular, magic loop
Started/Completed: August 26/September 15
Recipient: The Mister

I still can't believe how long these socks took me to knit. Yes, I was knitting other things at the same time (including another pair of socks and two sweaters). Yes, there was ribbing involved all the way down the [very long] length of the foot. But it was a simple pattern and these were my traveling socks. Never before -- or at least not since I became a sock addict -- has it taken me so long to finish a pair.

My excuse? Well boredom, for one. Although I love the texture of garter rib when it's on the foot, it's hard to get excited about it while knitting. But ultimately the real time-sucking culprit of these socks was the yarn. In terms of it look, feel, and fiber content, it's not much different from Knit Picks Essential, which surely you know by now is my favorite all-around heavy-duty sock yarn. The experience, however, was entirely different. I did not like this yarn. It was extremely splitty and annoying thin -- not that I'm so particular about the width of a strand of yarn, but this yarn's thinness drastically affected my row gauge. So much so that I made the legs of these socks a full inch shorter than I normally do and still cut it close on yarn. I bought this yarn solely because it was the right shade of bright red, a shade that just is not available in Essential, but I won't be buying it again.

Fortunately, there's a happy ending to the story of these socks. The Mister loves them. They're just the right color, and he says they fit perfectly. So while they were a pain to knit, I'm happy in knowing that they'll keep his feet warm (and pretty!) this fall and winter.

Meanwhile, I got such a high from finishing these that I cast on for the second Canada sock last night and have been breezing through it. I'm halfway through the main color chart. If I finish that part tonight, I could theoretically finish the rest of the sock by the end of the week. And then I can finally give my full attention to our sweaters.

The real question is, which project will come with me to meet with the Hurricane Knitters this week? You'll have to show up to find out!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful socks! I'm glad the mister loves them -- and you did indeed have a learning experience -- you learned you don't like that yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's strange, when I bought some Wildfoote in the spring and I actually thought it looked thicker than a lot of my other sock yarn. I've read other accounts of its splitty-ness, so now when I go into the stash, I look at it suspiciously. They are gorgeous(in a manly sort of way, of course) even if they were a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out really nice, but I can't believe your mister will wear such bright colors. You're so lucky!!

    You hit the nail on the head with your description of the yarn. I purchased some a year ago, but it does look super thin and I did have the thought cross my mind that it looked like it would split. Then again, if the Mister likes them, then it's all worth it. I'll tell myself that as I knit my current sock for my man. Not loving them, but I love him, so that helps me get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Nice, Nice Nice, I can't beleive your mister will wear pink socks!!! Must be a very manly mister!

    ReplyDelete