Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Finished: Monbras (or is it Zekeys?)

Cross another project off my holiday knitting list:

Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A (winter '06 Knitty)
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (80% superwash wool, 20% nylon), colorway 101/Shadow, two skeins
Needles: two 12" US 1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: November 5/November 15
Mods: no purls in the stitch pattern, and I used a slip-stitch heel

Is it just me, or do these look rather
These are for my mother-in-law, who luckily has feet very nearly the exact same size as mine, which makes it very easy to knit socks for her (and even easier to model them for blog pictures -- don't worry, they'll be washed before she gets them).

Would you belive that this LLSS is the very first Lorna's I ever bought? It was an impulse eBay purchase about two years ago, and it had been sitting in the stash waiting for the right pattern ever since. It turned out to be perfect for this pattern, just so long as you don't look too hard at them while intoxicated.

There's not much to say about this pattern that I haven't already said. I think I've gotten the Monkey business out of my system for a while, but these definitely won't be my last pair.

As soon as these were finished I cast on for what I'm calling Very Boring Socks Indeed -- plain stockinette socks in navy blue, for my father, by request. Only for someone I love would I knit such a boring sock! At least it will go quickly -- and at least my father's feet aren't as long as my husband's.

9 comments:

  1. I think yours are the most favorite monkey socks I've seen to date. They look great. So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on another holiday gift FO! I love getting those done and stowed away for later. Feels SOOOO good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm ... perhaps your no-purl Monkeys should be my next sock! Just have to pick a yarn :) Boring stockingette in plain navy? Try a men's size 11.5 wide (that means 11" long, 10.5 around) in solid black. I have that in my future for Hubster. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the boring navy man socks. I'm there now. Only for pops!

    Nice job on the Monbras! Hehehe, zebra butts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo! Cool! Those are dizzying socks. I love the way they worked up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look a little like Zebra Socks instead of Monkey Socks...but oh so lovely! I have learned how to read and knit stockinette stitch at the same time thanks fot Theresa at Knitting Underway. She did that all the way through medical school. Give it a try! Or, watch a good movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes boring stockinette it just what the doctor ordered!! I'm sure your dad will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool socks! I love how the yarn looks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that what happens when a monkey & zebra collide? At least you don't end up with monkey-butt! ;-)

    Those must have been so fun to knit. They are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete