Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Malabrigo is My Weakness

Today The Mister was kind enough to take me to Natural Stitches, since I wasn't able to make it for the grand opening yesterday. The shop was very well stocked and everyone was very friendly; Martha greeted us when we came in and pointed The Mister in the direction of some comfy chairs at the front of the store. He waited patiently for me while I had a bit of a falling down in the Malabrigo aisle. I picked up a couple skeins of sock yarn and was slightly tempted by the wall of Cascade, but in the end I just couldn't resist the kettle-dyed colors of Uruguay.

This laceweight (in the colorway Stonechat) was the first to call to me. I think it will become a Leaf Lace Shawl or perhaps another Adamas. (By the way, if you click over to the Adamas pattern, does the shawl in the photo look familiar at all?)

My real undoing was the aisle containing many gorgeous colors of the worsted weight. In the end, I decided on a colorway called Dusty Olive.


Unfortunately the overcast sky and poor indoor lighting have prevented me from capturing the true beauty of this colorway -- in real life, it's a beautiful combination of a dusty rose and a deep olive with shades of chocolate brown. I bought six skeins, a real splurge for me, that will become a Sunrise Circle Jacket (pdf) provided I can get gauge. Of course, that's only for knitting after the long-awaited Tangled Yoke Cardigan.

The good news is that I should soon be ready to cast on for the TYC. Last night I "finished" the second sleeve of The Mister's Seamless Hybrid, so there's only about two or three inches left to knit on the body before I join all the parts and begin the interesting part. I've gotten to the point where all I want to knit is his sweater, so I'm anticipating another week or less is all I need (especially considering there's a long weekend coming up). If I'm really good and really productive, maybe he'll even get to wear it to Thanksgiving dinner!

5 comments:

  1. I hit Natural Stitches yesterday. Lots of 220, lots of Malabrigo, lots of new stuff. Went to Bloomin' Yarns today for Chris to pick out yarn for his Cobblestone. Get this -- he picked a Cascade 220 Heathered! I couldn't believe it! Glad you had fun at NS! (ymtbpkxj)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shopping you did! Lovely yarn!

    ALSO CAN I ASK YOUR FLOAVOR!
    Visit my knitting blog.. see what you think and comment me!

    Thanks~~
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, love that colorway of Malabrigo!! So cool.

    cemazws

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, since Malabrigo is my new #1 yarn , it looks like I'l be hitting Natural Stiches!! Thanks for the reference, I didn't even know it existed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohhhh... Malabrigo... my love. I've only knit with it once, but I used the Stonechat colorway in worsted to make a scarf and I'm in love with it. I don't know how they make it so beautiful & soft, but it's worth every dime, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete