Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

It's Love!

Thank you all for sharing in my enthusiasm. I'm so glad I finally took the plunge (and shelled out the bucks!) to buy my wheel, because I'm getting so much enjoyment out of it already. I hardly picked up my knitting needles over the weekend -- and probably ignored my husband -- because I spent so much time at the wheel. So much time, in fact, that I was having some bum numbness issues. I still need a lot of practice and have a lot to learn, but here's my first handspun on my own wheel (this shot is for you, Kristie!):

This was more of the huge bag of natural BFL from my learn to spin kit. As you can see, it came out rather bulky (so bulky, in fact, that there are more singles to be plied that wouldn't fit on this bobbin!), but it served its purpose of letting me practice my technique and get to know my wheel.

I have some prettier fiber up next that I picked up at Natural Stitches on Saturday:


This is 8 oz. of Louet Northern Lights wool top, in a colorway called Toffee. I predrafted the entire thing (yes, it's one long, continuous length of fiber!) and now I'm in the process of splitting it in two lengthwise to be spun into singles. Now I see why people skip the predrafting process -- it takes a while! I think it'll be worth it, though, when I can just sit down and spin continuously.

The one thing that's left to do with my wheel is name it. I think a wheel ought to have a name, don't you? I do think that, what with parts with names like "mother of all," wheels probably are girls, so I guess she needs a name. The Mister is supposedly thinking up a name, but you fibery people might be better. I'm thinking something eccentric and original. Thoughts?


Yvonne tagged me for a meme. I haven't done one of these in a while, so here goes:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 (or more) pages. Atonement by Ian McEwan

2. Open the book to page 123 and find the fifth sentence. And spineless. (Yes, that really is the entire sentence!)

3. Post the next three sentences. He went over it again and it looked the same. There was no way out, he would have to speak to her. He put his hand over the bell push.

4. Tag four people. Well, I'm usually among the last people to do these things, so if you haven't done it yet and want to, consider yourself tagged!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're having fun with your shiny new toy! I've been cranking out socks. Woo-Hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. she looks like a Lisette to me ... and I totally get the wheel love. My knitting output has dropped cos all I want to do is spin on my Ms Charlotte Sheridan { she's a Sheridan MacArthur double drive and I lurrve her but I have to be careful because my Ashford Trad is getting jealous ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Awesome yarn! I foresee a bulky scarf.

    As far as the name for the wheel, how about Odina? Scandinavian origin, divine creative inspiration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:13 AM

    OOO, here's another one:
    http://www.babynames.com/Names/name_display.php?id=3881

    Topper One Who Attached The Wool To The Distaff For Spinning

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you posted Atonement for your meme- I'm rereading it and haven't had the book and the computer in the same place at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now see? It's already paid for itself. ;)

    Hmmm... Bum Numbness is kind of a cool name...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:58 AM

    Looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Congrats on your first handspun. I love the fiber you're going to spin up next ... sooo pretty. And yes, the predrafting is so worth it. I'm still so excited for you.

    I haven't chosen a name yet either. Hubby said .. how about Spinny? Oh puhlease... how about something a little more original my dear. Good luck picking out a name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bulky yarn looks lovely, and the Toffee top is such a nice color combination : )

    How are going about predrafting and splitting it? I see you've got two little sub-balls there - are those already split?

    ReplyDelete