Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

Whirlwind

Phew! What a weekend! We were busy all weekend with a rehearsal dinner, a wedding, a post-wedding brunch, and an engagement party -- so busy, in fact, that I took a day off from work on Friday just to get my errands done. It also allowed me a little bit of time to knit, really the only sustained knitting time I got all weekend. The good news? I finished the yoke of the sweater I've been test knitting. I slipped it on to some waste yarn (that's the purple you'll see in the photos below) to try it on. Here's the front:

... and the back:

Cute, no? I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the pattern, eventually, so I can finish it (surely just in time for summer).

I also finished a pair of excessively boring socks for The Mister earlier this evening that I am not going to bother to show you until I can get a shot of them on his feet. They're a 2x2 rib, which means when they're not on feet, they shrivel up into nothing. Do you really want to see a photo of that? Yeah, I didn't think so.

More good news: I managed to get in some spinning time last night! For the past week, I'd been preparing the fiber in fits and starts; I finally finished splitting it last night and was able to start my first bobbin of singles. Pretty, pretty singles!

This is much thinner than my first experiment. Here's my fingers for scale:


Judging solely by sight, I'd say this is somewhere between a laceweight and a fingering weight, so with any luck the finished two ply should fall somewhere in the heavy fingering weight. Wouldn't it be fun to turn this into a pair of hand-spun, hand-knit socks?

I'll be trying to finish up this bobbin tonight as well as winding my latest STR (I can finally start those socks now that the interminable ribbed socks are done). Then it's back to Seamless Hybrid #2, which will likely be my project of choice for knit night this Wednesday, 7 p.m. at the Waterworks B&N.

6 comments:

  1. Pretty handspun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Wow, you're a natural at the spinning stuff!! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely spinning! It looks so even, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Wow, that is soooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:11 PM

    It sure looks like your test knit is going extremely well. What a great fit and a beautiful color.

    LOVE your singles. You're spinning like a pro. I've got to ply my latest singles together. I wonder what it will end up looking like? I also wish the sun would come out today so I could take decent photos of what I've spun. I'm WAY overdue on posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really getting great at spinning, girl! Did you dye the yarn yourself or does it come like that? The colors are pretty!

    ReplyDelete