Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

All Wool, All the Time

This past weekend was truly the break I needed after two very stressful weeks at work in a row. I spent the majority of Saturday and Sunday exploring fibery pursuits -- easy to do, as we spent most of the weekend at home.

We did venture out for a bit on Saturday, first to get lunch at one of our favorite pubs and then (because The Mister offered) to engage in some stash enhancement. I guess my complaints that I only had one bunch of fiber left to spin had a receptive audience, because he drove me there and very patiently waited for me.

Because I still had gift cards burning holes in my pockets, I decided to splurge a little. For instance, this may be the most expensive skein of yarn I've ever bought:

This is Prism Wool Lace, in a colorway called Terra Cotta. It may have been pricey, but there's a whopping 1460 yards in that skein; I'd bet if I calculated the cost per yard, it might not seem that bad. (Besides, it was free to me! Thanks in-laws!)

I also bought a bottle of much-needed Soak; the much-coveted Fiber Trends Felted Clogs pattern; and, because I enjoyed the last bit so much, four more ounces of Main Woods merino/corriedale roving:

Doesn't this color make you think of a watermelon? I started spinning it up last night, making some very thin singles.

I think I spent close to four hours at my wheel, which may have been a little too long; my right thumb was aching a little last night. I'm going to have to be a bit better about balancing my spinning and knitting time, although it's very hard to tear myself away from my new toy. (I may or may not have placed my first Loopy Ewe order today for some more roving; don't worry, Amy, I clicked through from your blog!)

My knitting this weekend was relaxing and fairly unexciting. I started a little project that, if it turns out well, will be for Aidan for his first birthday (I can't believe he was born a year ago!); right now it's in a bunch of little pieces with a bunch of yarn tails, so it's not very interesting to look at. These, on the other hand, are delicious, if I do say so:


Nothing but the first sock in a pair of very plain stockinette socks in a gorgeous colorway of Claudia Hand Painted -- Teal Party, to be exact -- that is really more chocqua than this picture shows. I started these at about 1 p.m. yesterday, knit a few hours, knit a couple today, and I'm already through the gussets. I love that.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh! I see another new account on my TLE home page! :-D I have a cart-full of stuff waiting for this week's sneak-up. I am cruising some of the Fleece Artist 2/6. Love that stuff! Sounds like you had a great weekend. See you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now *that's* the way to use a gift card! Nice stash enhancement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Way to go on those singles, SJ! Very cool. I love the color of the yarn you bought at Knit 1-- it's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a question for you: when you buy 4 ounces of roving, do you know how much yarn you're going to get from it and if it's going to be a usable amount? I always wonder that and can't imagine how much you'd get spun up. I think that's why I like buying it.

    At least I don't have to threaten to lick your Claudia's yarn now, I got some of my own a couple months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Your singles look fantastic!! This is going to make really beautiful yarn.

    I made the same mistake of spinning too much a week ago. I spun 5 or 6 hours straight. My hand ached for two days (as did my body). That will show me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:51 AM

    Lovely spinning - and socks. Claudia does really nice yarns that don't pool overly much.

    Getting ready for that first birthday?

    ReplyDelete