Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Beauty in Simplicity

Sometimes there's nothing better than a pair of plain stockinette socks.


Pattern: basic stockinette worked over 60 stitches, with a 3x2 ribbed cuff and an Eye of Partridge heel
Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted Fingering Weight (100% merino), colorway Teal Party, two skeins

Needles: two 12" US 1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: April 13/April 19



Unfortunately, as lovely as these socks are, they do have a dark side. The first sock was fine. It was fast and a pleasure to knit. The second skein, however, had some dye issues -- namely that the dye came off on my hands as I knit. I am hoping that it's just a matter of too much saturation and that the extra dye will come out in the wash, because if it doesn't, my foot is liable to turn black (like my fingers did while knitting). Has anyone else had this experience? This was my first time knitting with Claudia Hand Painted, and other than the dye issue it was quite pleasurable (I'm pretty sure it's the same yarn base as Koigu).

Tonight's activity? Spinning, and lots of it. I'm hoping to finish up the second 2 oz. of the "watermelon" roving; I'm eager to ply it with the batch I finished late last week -- not only because I'm excited to finish that yarn, but also because I can't wait to dig into the new additions to the stash!

Finally, a message to my fellow Pennsylvanians: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TOMORROW!

11 comments:

  1. Today, I spoke to Virtual Barack, Virtual Hillary, two other computers and a Hillary volunteer who had never heard that an of Hillary's campaign bills had been left unpaid (nice). I will vote tomorrow, and I will be even happier to be rid of the ads and phone calls ... at least for a little while!

    My only CHP issue is the fuzz. They are definitely my fuzziest socks, although they are not yet showing signs of wear. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your socks! and i totally agree with you - sometimes there's nothing like simple stockinette socks! i've been enjoying your spinning as well - another hobby i wish i could do, but rob will go crazy if i bring one more hobby implement into the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a pair of socks in CPH, but I never had a bleeding issue. I'm making a skirt in indigo denim now, and you want to talk about dye on the hands -- oy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty socks! As much fun as the fancier ones are to make, I find I like wearing the plain ones best!

    Can I come vote? lol! I want to vote again! I'm sure you're ready to have the campaign trail move on out of your state. I imagine it's been non-stop phone calls, mailers and commercials on tv... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm a little nervous to knit with that yarn! It's so pretty though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:28 AM

    purty socks there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a pair of chocolate cherry claudia handpaints and after washing once a week for the last 7 months, they are still bleeding... and not just a little. but they are super comfy and don't leave the dye on my feet, just in the soak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I voted and it was a THRILL to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I'm no help on the CPH - had some in the stash once upon a time, but swapped it away. But I'll cross my fingers and hope it's just excess dye!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:55 AM

    vinegar is good - vinegar is a dyers friend.

    Go ahead and give those socks a soak, then rinse carefully and completely in cold water.

    This should get the excess out, and help fix the remaining dye to the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:11 PM

    I haven't knit any of my CHP so I don't know if it's a common issue or not. Regardless, they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete