Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Seeing Red

Even though 2008 has been the year of green in my knitting, the past week has seen a lot of fiber in the red/pink end of the spectrum. Case in point: my latest spinning.

A little less than 4 oz. of Maine Woods merino/corriedale roving, spun into a two ply. Approximately 610 yards.

Although the ply isn't as tight as I'd like, I'm very proud that this yarn is extremely well balanced. I guess my spinning sense must've known that more twist would have unbalanced the yarn. You know what else? I finally seem to have achieved a true fingering weight yarn.

The yardage is certainly enough for a pair of socks, but I think I might want to wait a bit until I have some more durable sock yarn spun up and use this for a shawl or scarf instead. For now I'm just admiring it.

I had some singles left on one bobbin after I finished plying, so I used them to try Navajo plying. I was so excited about this little skein that I took it to work in my purse yesterday and pulled it out squeeze it once or twice when things were stressful.

This is definitely over twisted, mostly because I was getting the hang of working both hands and didn't always coordinate them well. Still, I love the effect, and I'm planning on Navajo plying the next batch of fiber:

This is some of the Sakina Needles roving that came in my Loopy Ewe order. It's much more orange in real life; the name of the colorway is Watermelon, but it looks much more like a carrot to me.

Meanwhile, the sock knitting continues (and sorry for the crappy photo -- my photographer is away again):


Pattern: Baudelaire by Cookie A. (summer '06 Knitty)
Yarn: Socks That Rock lightweight (100% superwash merino), colorway Ruby Slippers, one skein
Needles: two 12" US 1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: April 18/April 28
Mods: completed only 13 cable crosses on leg; shortened cuff

I used some MacGyver problem solving to finish the first sock. I finished it during my lunch break at work, where I didn't have a larger needle to use to bind off. But I did have my cable needle, which is about the width of a size 3 needle, so I used that. And, of course, I had to do the same to get the second sock to match.

Tomorrow is an unusual fifth Wednesday of the month, so the Hurricane Knitters are having a special bonus knit night. We'll be meeting to have dinner and knit at the Panera at Waterworks starting at about 6:30. Come and join us if you're in the area!

6 comments:

  1. I love that pink handspun! Fingering weight! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty, pretty! I love red! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:00 AM

    your spinning is really going well! I'm so proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice spin job! So even! Whee!

    Great job on the Baudlai.. Baudelar... socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Nice spinning!! How you manage to get so much spun and knit is beyond me. Absolutely amazing!

    Love the socks. I also have a pair of socks in the same colorway. Nice MacGyver move by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned the hard way about handspun and socks. Had some beautiful variegated green merino (also from Sakina, imagine that) that I spun into fingering weight, made a lovely pair of quill lace socks, and am currently afraid to wear them as they're wearing out in the heels. In retrospect I should have carried a reinforcing thread, but we live and learn. Now they're just very special socks.

    Your spinning is lovely!

    ReplyDelete