Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

To the Victor Go the Spoils

It's been quite a day for stash enhancement, and unexpected stash enhancement at that.

First, I stopped by Natural Stitches this morning to pick up my prize for participating in the Summer of Socks contest. My reward for those thousands of yards of sock knitting was a set of some really stunning stitch markers, handmade by Martha herself, and a sample of eucalyptus-scented Eucalan.

As long as I was there, I had to look around -- especially because the layout of the store had changed a bit and I needed to reorient myself. I discovered that the spinning fiber section had recently been enhanced, and this jumped right into my arms.

This is Chameleon Colorworks merino/tencel in the colorway Ophelia. This will be a new blend for me to spin, and I'm thinking the shine of the tencel would make this ideal for a lace yarn.

I also found another skein of the J Knits superwash sock yarn on sale and snatched it up to make my mother a Lace Ribbon Scarf for her holiday gift. (I'd been thinking that it was the perfect yarn and color for her, but I didn't want to give up my skein to do it, so this was a perfect solution.)

Next, I headed over to Knit One, where they were having a sale and fashion show in honor of their third anniversary. I decided to enter my Shetland Triangle in the contest on a whim, just for fun. (The only requirement was that the garment you entered had to be knit with yarn purchased there. I went one better and spun the yarn from fiber I bought there.) As I was milling around, waiting for things to begin, I did some browsing and found some basic wool yarn to use for a felted bag I've been thinking about designing. This is plain old Ella Rae Classic, in a lovely chocolate brown.

Much to my surprise, I came in third place in the popular vote! My prize was this pretty skein of Noro Kureyon sock yarn, along with a bottle of wool wash.


I wasn't planning on necessarily buying this yarn again, but for free, I'll take it!

And now I must go and knit some of the yarn I already have so I can get to the new stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 PM

    i've spun some chameleon colorworks and it's devine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in that Noro sock yarn are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on third place! And ooo, can't wait to see what kind of bag you design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:41 PM

    I purchased some of that j-knits sock yarn from Natural stitches in the same color and used it to make a shawl. The color is lovely, but it came off on my fingers and stained my wooden needles ;-( Hope you don't have the same experience....

    Diane

    ReplyDelete