Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Block It Out, B*tch!

You didn't see this one coming, did you?

Pattern: Branching Out by Susan Lawrence, spring 2005 Knitty
Yarn: Lime & Violet Intentions superwash merino/bamboo blend in "Fertility"
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm) Addi Turbo circs
Started/Completed: March 5/March 16
Dimensions: approximately 87" long and 4.5" wide
Mods: substituted a sssk for the sl1-k2tog-psso to mirror the k3tog better

Unfortunately, my photos didn't quite capture the true color of this yarn -- in real life, it's much more green and the brown is more of a milk chocolate. Actually, this colorway makes me think very much of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

The yarn was very nice to work with. The bamboo in it gives it an amazing shine, and the knitted fabric has incredible drape. I didn't use the full skein because I wanted this scarf to be more of a fashion accessory than one for warmth, so I made it just long enough to loop around my neck, like so:

The lace pattern is perhaps a bit obscured by the variegated colorway, but I love how the finished scarf feels on my neck, and the colorway is neutral enough that it should go with many outfits.

For those of you wondering about the title of this post, well, I guess I've been doing my Ari Gold impression a bit too much, because when I finished binding off and told The Mister that it was time to block, these were the first words out of his mouth.

6 comments:

  1. Holy cow, didn't I just see that yarn in the skein two weeks ago? Nice work, Cap'n Speedy! I didn't even notice the brown in the yarn when you showed it to me, all I saw was the green! But mmm...ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! When I saw your blog title, I did a double-take to see if it was indeed on your blog. Just doesn't sound like something you'd say. :)

    Anyway, wear it in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Very pretty! I was just looking at the specs of Branching Out yesterday thinking it would make a nice gift for a guest coming in April. Speedy knit then? Relatively speedy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my eyebrows are going to take a while to come down. So un-Sarah like, that title!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I don't watch the show anymore, but loved Jeremy Piven in that role.

    Gorgeous scarf! Hope my MIL never sees that colorway name, she'll buy a truckload and bury me in it 'til we give her grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete