Pages

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Handspun and a Knitting Celebrity Encounter

First things first: It's Sunday, and I have new handspun to show you.

This is superwash merino (colorway Tabula Rosa) from Sakina Needles, purchased from the Loopy Ewe way back in my first big fiber order last year. I didn't spin it right away because the color was not what I expected; what looked pink and purple online was actually orange and purple in person. I finally decided to spin it up, figuring that if I didn't like the resulting yarn, I could knit it into a gift or find someone else who would love it.

I spun the entire 4 oz. onto one bobbin and then Navajo/chain plied it. I wound up with approximately 375 yards of sportweight-ish yarn. I had a lot of problems with the dye coming off on my hands while I spun, so I gave it a vinegar bath in the finishing process and had very little dye coming off when it was washed. I still don't know what I'll do with it, but the color is definitely growing on me.

Now, on to the celebrity. This weekend, Franklin Habit was in town doing a reading/booksigning and teaching a lace class at Natural Stitches.

An enthusiastic crowd was there Saturday afternoon for the reading and signing, which was quite entertaining, particularly when Franklin donned his nightcap while signing books.


The lace class was this morning, and it was also quite a bit of fun. In addition to teaching the basics of lace knitting (and yes, I know I already knew them), Franklin also had a lot to tell us about the lace knitting traditions of Orenburg, the Shetland Islands, and Estonia -- which is really why I took the class. He is a wonderful and very entertaining teacher, and I highly recommend taking a class with him if you have the chance.

I think I should add that Franklin also complimented me on my new sweater -- but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see that!

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! Wish I could have been there. Would have been there if I wasn't stuck in the rain/snow in Georgia! ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Can you share the most profound thing you learned????? I bet he WAS entertaining!

    ReplyDelete