Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Preparing for the Next Challenge

Today is Tuesday, which means the Olympics -- and the Ravellenic Games -- are only three short days away. I am getting ready to compete in my personal challenge in the Shawl Sailing event. I will be knitting the Wilshire Shawl in madelinetosh tosh lace, which I wound on Sunday so I would be ready:


The pattern has already been printed out, so I just need to do another quick read-through of it and get out the required needles before I am ready to go. Unfortunately I will be stuck at work on Friday when the opening ceremonies kick off, so I'll need to wait until Friday evening to cast on.

In the meantime, I am knitting furiously to try to finish what's on my needles, specifically my Grellow Peckish shawl. As of lunch today, I have 14 of 18 stripes done. I'm hoping to finish the four remaining by tomorrow night (knit night tomorrow should help) so that I have Thursday and lunchtime on Friday to finish the border and then can block over the weekend. The pattern is nearly done being tested and tech edited, so I'm hoping to get some photos of this version over the weekend in time for the pattern release (which I'm hoping will be mid-next week).


I also cast on for a quick hat for Rainbow on Sunday afternoon using some handspun from a few years ago. It was 4 oz. of Lorna's Lace wool top in the colorway Black Purl that I'd spun into a three-ply Aran weight. I'm knitting it up into a quick rolled-brim beanie, and I found a really cute pattern for a crocheted butterfly that I'm going to attempt to make to embellish the hat. This needs to be done by this weekend so I can get it to count as my last square for a special bingo at my LYS!

3 comments:

  1. I love the colours in your Peckish shawl. That yellow just sings. Good luck with your Ravellenics. I'm starting my last Camp Loopy project so will be with you in spirit, but not in competition…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run into and opening ceremonies time conflict for the Ravellenic Games, too! My best friend is coming in (from Pgh!!!) today and isn't leaving until Saturday afternoon. She is, sadly, not a knitter AND I can't concentrate on knitting with other people around. I'm competing in the cable steeplechase/sweater triathlon on one project - an Owlet (Kate Davies) sweater for DD - AND in the WIPs Wrestling to finish a Snug sweater for DS!

    I LOVE the colorway of that Tosh and the shawl pattern is beautiful - good luck on it!

    The Grellow Peckish is GORGEOUS. I can't wait to get my pattern when you're finished with it and am not leaning toward a Grellow Peckish of my own! I had to laugh, though, because on my monitor the colors looked Black & Gold at first! I think I have a very Pittsburgh-leaning mind...

    Lastly (gosh this is the longest comment I've ever left on any blog) - your Black Purl handspun is GORGEOUS! That crochet butterfly is adorable (and makes me want to attempt to learn crochet again), and I cannot wait to see Rainbow's hat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops - that last comment should say "NOW leaning toward a Grellow Peckish of my own..." instead of "not leaning". I am leaning...very much leaning! But I'll probably swap the colors to make the small stripes yellow and the big stripes grey :)

    ReplyDelete