Pages

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Pattern Release: Ravessa Shawl

Didn't I promise there would be knitting content this week? I'm still knitting a bit here and there on my socks and baby sweaters, but today I want to talk to you about the shawl that recently came off my needles and has its official debut today. This is the Ravessa Shawl.


If the edging of this shawl looks familiar, that's because it should. I started with one edge of my Ravessa Scarf (which, truth be told, started as an edging for a shawl -- I guess it just took me some time to come back to the idea!).

This shawl is worked in two distinct sections, but it's completely seamless. First, you start out by knitting the edging, which has both cables and lace. Then you pick up stitches along one side of the edging and use short rows to shape the garter stitch border. A modified I-cord bind off creates the top edge -- a bind off that, conveniently, creates a sort of a channel that's perfect for running a blocking wire or string through to aid in blocking.


The sample was knit in Jill Draper Makes Stuff Esopus, a delightfully springy superwash merino light fingering weight yarn that comes in a very generous 500 yd./457 m skein. The sample used every last bit of my skein, so I'm recommending 500-525 yds./457-480 m to complete the pattern. I think the tight twist of this yarn really helps all the textural elements to pop. I didn't block it as aggressively as I could have, but even so the shawl is a good size (approximately 61 in./155 cm wide across the top and 14 in./35.5 cm deep at the center) to wrap up in. This pattern would lend itself very well to being worked in a heavier yarn for an even cozier wrap.

I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to knitting another one of these (though I think my next one will be in handspun). I hope you have as much fun with it as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment