Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

I Can Totally Explain This

A rather large parcel of yarn arrived today. I know what you're thinking -- I'm supposed to be on a yarn diet, right? That means no yarn buying, doesn't it? Well, kind of. Let me explain.

My yarn diet is designed to achieve two objectives: reduce the size of my stash overall and save money so that I'll have some to spend at SSK this summer. I know it seems simple, but there are extenuating circumstances. For one, I signed up for a three-month yarn club from Fibernymph Dye Works in the fall, so one of the skeins in the package was the second shipment for that. Then, I happened to win the quarterly FDW drawing on Ravelry (pure luck, I tell you!), giving me a $25 gift certificate for the shop, so I splurged on a merino/cashmere/silk skein from a limited run Lisa was offering, and with the gift certificate, I really only spent a few dollars. Finally, Lisa and I have been planning a design collaboration for a while, so she sent me four skeins for a couple of samples that I'll be knitting up and then offering the pattern as a kit through her shop. She was kind enough to combine all six skeins in one package, and that's how I ended up with this pile of yarn.


I'm still working my way through stash otherwise, so I guess you could say I'm bending rather than breaking the yarn diet.

Speaking of using stash yarn, I've busted (most of) another skein with the completion of these rainbow-striped socks, just in time to wear tomorrow!


These are just my basic vanilla sock pattern worked over 70 stitches on size 0 (2.0 mm) needles. I used the Karbonz again, but I think I'll go back to my Addi Sock Rockets for the next pair, as the drag on the yarn was starting to get a little annoying. I did manage to get the stripes to more or less match, though I sort of wish I'd paid a little more attention to how the yarn was going to stripe so my rainbow sequence wasn't in reverse order going down the sock.

I should be able to finish up my PussyHat this evening (I was very close to being done when I had to put it down last night), so I'll be all ready for the Pittsburgh women's march on Saturday. I know a couple of people who will be there in hats, and if you will be there, keep an eye out for me in my neon pink!


We have a fairly busy weekend coming up, but the thing I'm looking forward to most is the grand opening of the new Knitsburgh Yarn Shop tomorrow evening! My friend Yvonne, who was previously the manager of my now-closed LYS, is behind this new venture, and I couldn't be happier for her. The new shop is a bit of a drive for me (which might make it less easy for me to swing by and buy more yarn), but from the teaser picks she's been posting online, it looks lovely. I can't wait to get inside see it in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment