Pages

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Spin All the Shiny, Sparkly Things

It's day two of Spinzilla, and I have certainly done my share today. I took a day off from work to go to the eye doctor for my annual exam (it's not much use going to work with my eyes dilated seeing as my job involves reading all day), so that meant lots of extra spinning time. I estimate I spent somewhere between four and five hours at the wheel today. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea, as I'm feeling it now. In any case, I have a lot to show.

Last night I started in on my HipStrings unicorn sampler. I'm working my way through the bag pretty much from top to bottom, which more or less equates to lightest to darkest. I got through most of the first bump, Unicorn Fluff, last night and finished it up this morning. Unfortunately the photo I took does not want to upload to the blog, but you can see it here.

I immediately started in on the next color, Baby Unicorn, and finished that as well.

Superfine merino, baby llama, merino, and Stellina

I am spinning at least four of the bumps onto the same bobbin, as they're all in the range of 25-30 grams each. I plan to chain ply all of these, so in between each blend, I'm putting in a length of plain fiber (some leftover Romney from my first fleece) that's a natural color and that I'm spinning a bit thicker so it's very obvious:


The last color I worked on today is Soulmate, and I think I'm about halfway done with it.

Superfine merino, merino, bamboo, rose, and Stellina

This blend is proving to be a bit more difficult to spin than the previous ones. I think that's because this blend contains a fair amount of viscose (from bamboo and rose fiber), so it's a bit slick. I've actually had the single break on me about three times, not so much because it was snapping but because I lost my grip.

I'm going to see if my hands feel better tonight before I decide if I'm going to spin some more; if not, I'll take a break and work on my Rhinebeck sweater. That might not be a bad idea -- if I do, I should be able to finish the body tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment