Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Slow and Steady

I am most definitely not winning any races in Tour de Fleece this year! Instead, I am just continuing on, adding a little bit to my bobbin at a time. I suppose my approach to TdF this year could be said to be savoring the spin rather than rushing to finish it. And as much as I wanted to blast through some stash this year, I'd rather end up with yarn I really like than yarn that's just done. So here is the latest bobbin shot. Though I'd hoped that this bobbin would be full by now, it's not, but it is getting close (the wonderful thing about the WooLee Winder is that is does pack an awful lot on there!).


I have some excellent motivation to finish up this spin in the form of the last two shipments from the Southern Cross Fibre club, which I have neglected to share until now.

The May shipment is called Forest Gathering, and it's a super luxurious blend of 70% superfine merino and 30% mulberry silk. The photo doesn't do the fiber justice -- it's got some seriously amazing shine.


June's shipment arrived last week. This one I adore. It's South African superfine merino in a colorway called One Fish, Two Fish, and these colors most definitely bring Dr. Seuss to mind!


I'm obviously going to focus on finishing up my Polwarth spin first, but I think this fiber will very likely be the next thing on the wheel. I'll either be splitting it to spin thinner strips end to end and chain plying or doing a barber-poling two ply. Thoughts? I'm sure there's no wrong way to go with this beauty!

3 comments:

  1. While quantity is important, I think quality is even more so - the quality of your enjoyment of the spinning process along with your lovely handspun! (You're certainly winning in that area.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! One Fish, Two Fish is gorgeous! It might even be perfect if you separate the red from the blue and spun them separately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not even remotely qualified to have an opinion about your question (let alone voice it) ... but I do think your approach to TdF is a good one ... and I LOVE the colors in those two latest shipments (what does one call little cakes of unspun yarn?)

    ReplyDelete