Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Trifecta

It was a weekend of finishing chez Knit/Wit. Like so much of the country, we were treated to an oppressive heatwave, so we spent much of it inside in the air conditioning. That proved to be a very good situation for finishing up projects, including one that was long overdue.

I'm not sunburned; I've just been photographed by a 9-year-old

Pattern: Soldotna Crop by Caitlin Hunter
Yarn: Yarn Hollow Tango (85% Polwarth, 15% silk) in Ash Gray Patina, Moroccan Blue, Smokey Rose Petal, and Eggplant, less than one skein each
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm), US 5 (3.75 mm), and US 3 (3.25 mm)
Started/Completed: June 9/July 20
Mods: added length to the body and sleeves

The knitting on this was finished late last week, but I didn't get a chance to weave in all my ends and block until Saturday. If you can't tell by the smile on my face, I'm very happy with this sweater. It's a bit of a departure for me in terms of the cropped fit, but it was a very fun project to knit and even better as a stash buster -- all four skeins of yarn I used were already in my stash!

I extended the body a bit so that the bottom edge hits right about at my belly button, and I added a handful of additional rounds to the sleeves as well (two rounds in just the light blue and then two rounds of colorwork with the dark blue to match the body. You may not be able to tell from the photo, but I actually used the dark purple for the ribbing at the bottom, mainly because it was already attached and I didn't want to add more ends to weave in; the two shades are so close that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference without looking very closely.

I'm pleased with the fit and actually wore it for a while on Sunday afternoon after I pulled it off the blocking drying rack -- I put it on originally just to check the fit, but it was so comfortable in the air conditioning that I just kept it on! Now I just need to look through my wardrobe to come up with some outfits to go with it.

Another quick project that I finished this weekend was the Ball Band jar cozy that I started crocheting last week. Rainbow liked it so much that she asked me to make one for her water bottle that she takes to camp and school (and which has been aggravating her by making puddles of condensation), and I was happy to oblige.


These were super easy and fun, and I'm sure I'll be making more in the future.

Finally, to complete my trifecta, I finished Rainbow's shortie socks on Saturday night.


She is delighted with them, which of course makes me very happy, and having finished up the second I now have a better sense of where I'm going with the pattern. The sample has been cast on and just barely started; I anticipate working on that during most of my knitting time this week.

4 comments:

  1. Your Soldotna looks even better than I had imagined! I love the colors you used, the length, your modifications, and yes, even the 9-year-old's photography. Well done (on it and your other FOs)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Your Soldotna is GORGEOUS! I love it - especially photographed by a 9-year-old!

    What a genius idea for a water bottle! Hmm, I wonder if I could figure that out??

    And finally - Rainbow's socks are awesome! (pattern soon? maybe?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on three AWESOME finishes! Your Soldotna is perfect (even with Rainbow's photos, I can tell)! I'll bet you find a few ways to wear it ... I never thought I'd think a cropped sweater was versatile, but my Instagram feed tells me otherwise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz T.2:24 PM

    Great job on all! The sweater looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete