Pages

Thursday, December 05, 2019

Pattern Release: The Sky in the Stream

I am not a very outdoorsy person. It's not that I don't like nature; I just never much cared for some of the things in nature, like mud and bugs that bite. I also grew up in a city, where we didn't have much nature other than a patch of grass in front and behind the house and some old oak trees lining the street. Perhaps that's why the memories of one particular nature hike have stayed with me all these years: It was a fall day, cool enough for long sleeves but warm in the sun. I was probably 10 or 11, which would have made my younger brother 4 or 5. My family had driven out to the suburbs for some reason, and my father decided to pull the car over at a place called Salamander Park to take a "nature walk." I wasn't keen on it, but it was a nice day and I didn't put up a fight. My brother, because a very boyish boy, was delighted to pick up sticks and poke at things. I know we took some family photos, and I'm pretty sure we got a bit muddy, but what I remember most was the golden color that seemed to be everywhere.

Why am I telling you this? Well, when I spotted the colors I used in the pattern I'm publishing today, they reminded me so much of the colors of that day: the blue of the clear sky, with only a fluffy cloud here and there, and the warm, rusty red-brown of the dead leaves on the ground and the changing leaves still on the trees. This one is called The Sky in the Stream.


The gorgeous colors in the yarn are from the very talented Rebecca of Dusty Tree DyeWorks. When I bought them, I knew they were destined to be together, though at the time I didn't have a plan. I patiently tucked them away in my stash until the right idea came along, which it eventually did. Today, I'm delighted to share with you my new shawl pattern, The Sky in the Stream.


With this design, I've returned to my beloved top-down triangle and the squish of garter stitch. The knitting is pretty mindless until you join in the contrast color, where there's a little bit of slip-stitch colorwork and some short rows for fun. A row of eyelets near the bottom edge adds some lightness, not to mention a shortcut for blocking. Finally, the ends are finished with optional ornamental leaves, which you can toss over your shoulder, like so:


or, if you prefer to wear your shawls bandana style, tie in a loose overhand knot to secure the shawl around your neck:


Here are all the specs on this pattern:
  • You'll need two 100 g skeins of fingering weight yarn in two colors that go well together. You'll use all or nearly all of the main color and about three-quarters of the contrast color.
  • The gauge isn't critical (because it's a shawl), but keep in mind that if you work to a larger gauge, you'll likely need yarn, so plan accordingly.
  • The shawl starts with a garter tab, so if you hate those, feel free to sub in another way to start.
  • The short rows call for w&t, but you can sub in any other method you like. I find w&t works well with garter, because the wraps just blend in.
  • As with all my patterns, this one has been professionally tech edited for accuracy and clarity.
I really love this one, maybe more than I should (I should love all my designs equally, right?), and I hope you do, too. It's 20% off with the code LEAFY through December 10.


2 comments:

  1. A truly lovely shawl with lots of great details, made even lovelier by the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story and shawl, Sarah! I love the detail at the edge!

    ReplyDelete