Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Cross Another Off the List

The sudden change in our daily lives is meaning a lot of time at home, which isn't all that unusual for a homebody like me, but usually over the weekend we get out a bit. Obviously any plans we had before have been canceled, so now I have the perfect excuse to stay in with my knitting. Over this past weekend, that meant the perfect opportunity to finish up a project and cross another item off my 20 in 2020 list.


Pattern: Brackthaw by Faye Kennington, size medium
Yarn: Quince & Co. Finch (100% American wool) in Sage, less than one skein, and handspun Georgia "rustic wool"/silk/nylon
Needles: US 1 (2.25 mm) Addi Sock Rockets, magic loop
Started/Completed: February 13/March 14

These mittens have been on my want-to-knit list for a while, and I decided that the Woolly Thistle's annual mitten KAL was the perfect opportunity to finally do it. I'd already decided that I was going to use these two yarns for the mittens, both of which were in my FibreShare package a year ago. It felt good to use stash yarn for a pattern already in my library.

So let's talk details.


This pattern was a bit of a challenge not because it was hard but because of the level of detail. It's worked at a dense gauge -- 9 stitches per inch -- and, as you can see, has a very delicate design. Faye's pattern is very well written and easy to follow, but the charts might be a challenge if your vision isn't great. My sight is generally good, but I had to be very deliberate about keeping my place in the chart. Once I got to the second mitten, however, I found that the patterning was a little more intuitive to me, and the knitting definitely got faster as a result.

I made one modification and one error (that I could easily identify) in the knitting. As I was doing the decreases at the top of the second hand, I notice -- several rounds later -- that I'd done a decrease stitch in the wrong color. I wasn't about to rip back at that point, so I just used one of my yarn tails after I finished to duplicate stitch over the offending stitch as part of weaving that end in. I felt a little smug about it, actually, and though I know exactly where it is, I'm guessing that you can't see it, even if you enlarge the photo. The modification is likewise one that's not easy to spot: I did two additional decreases at the top of each mitten, a centered double decrease on each side (the palm and the back of the hand are separated on each side by three stitches -- white/green/white -- so I just decreased each set to one stitch). This meant that each mitten ended with a small number of stitches all in green, and that was aesthetically pleasing to me.


I generally don't block colorwork too aggressively, but these were a little lumpy because the handspun was a bit inconsistent and overall just a tad thicker than the Finch. I discovered that the top of my Knit Picks sock blockers were the perfect size and shape to stick into the hand, so after the mittens got a good soak, I stuck the blockers into them while they dried. The fabric is still not as even as it could be, but I have a feeling that as these get worn and rewashed, they will even out a bit more.

I'm completely delighted with how these turned out and now have an urge to knit more colorwork mittens -- and perhaps even design a new pair myself!

How are the rest of you coping with the new reality? It's been a long time since I had a knitting group to go to, but I'm finding that it would be really great to have one right now. Would anyone be up for a virtual knitting get-together sometime soon? I'm sure I could figure out Google Hangouts or something similar, and it would be great to be able to talk to some of you in real time while knitting. Let me know!

8 comments:

  1. Your mittens are beautiful! I'm not even going to bother enlarging the photo and looking for your duplicate stitch because I know you have made an exemplary fix. Congratulations on a lovely FO!

    I would be up for a virtual knitting get-together. I'm not sure about details, but I'm going to be looking into Zoom for the book group, so that might also be an option. However we do it, I would welcome the connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely mittens Sarah (and in complete agreement with Bonny about your fix!) ... as to the virtual gathering, I'm all in! I'm familiar with Zoom and would be happy to host ... I only have a free account, and not sure if they've lifted the time limit. If not, we get 40 minutes ... which is still probably sufficient to log on and say hi!! it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh they came out beautiful! I absolutely love them, and how great that you could finish them so quickly!
    I finally decided to get on with my job and worked on the PhD for about two and a half hours today. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow and on Friday and one trip to the pharmacy, apart from that, we're staying home (we usually do that, so ... ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm fully convinced that anxiety knitting is behind the second mitten getting done so quickly.

      Delete
  4. These are truly stunning! The detail on the leaves is incredible! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mittens are so lovely! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete