Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Small Delights

Another day with more bad news, and I'm getting increasingly anxious. So I'm focusing more and more on little things that make me happy or bring me joy in an effort to combat the panic, and I'm joining up with Carole and friends by sharing three of them with you.

1. Baking with Rainbow

One of the gifts Rainbow received last year from my parents was the American Girl Baking cookbook. She has been looking through it ever since and drooling over the recipes, and this time at home seemed like the perfect time to make something out of it. We started with something simple, a baked apple pancake. There was no picture of the finished item in the book, but we had all the ingredients on hand (save the powdered sugar for topping, but we thought we could live without it). We prepped the apples and the batter before dinner and popped it into the oven while we were eating so it would be ready for dessert. This beauty is what came out:


Actually, it was even taller when it first came out of the oven, like a good souffle, but of course it settled as it cooled. It was very easy to make, though we agreed in the future we'd use a bit more apple (the recipe called for one large baking apple and we used two small Honeycrisps). It uses only 4 tablespoons of sugar, so it wasn't overly sweet. We all had seconds last night and Rainbow enjoyed what was left for breakfast this morning!

2. A pile of handspun

I retrieved these skeins from the stash room this morning and plan to wind them up (or at least wind some of them up) later today so they're ready to be knit.


The purple gradient, thanks to Bonny's influence, is going to become my first-ever Hitchhiker. The chocolate brown and pinky-purple skeins are bulky weight Bond and Charollais, respectively, from Southern Cross Fibre that I spun a couple of summers ago. Earlier in the week I learned that designer Whitney Hayward had made all her designs for Harrisville free (I believe just for the duration of the current public health crisis), and I fell in love with her Cleburne Cardigan. I immediately thought of these skeins of handspun, so I'm going to swatch and see if I can make it work.

3. Treat yo'self

I've realized that an easy way to boost my mood is through self-pampering, so I've been doing things like using the nice hand lotion instead of my everyday Aveeno. Yesterday I gave myself a manicure, something I rarely do because I'm usually so busy that I don't feel I can spare the time to sit and wait for the polish to dry (though I did use the quick-drying polish I have so I didn't have to wait too long). Yesterday I was listening to the Knitmore Girls episode from last week and Gigi mentioned that she'd been wearing perfume since she started staying at home. I've stopped wearing my perfume when I've been out in public so as not to bother those who are sensitive to scents, but I knew no one in my house would have a problem, so I put on a spritz after my shower this morning. That was such a tiny thing, but catching a whiff of scent injects a little joy throughout the day.

How about you? What small delights have you found or indulged in this week?

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for these three, not-so-small things! That baked apple pancake looks delicious, I am delighted by all the handspun (especially the purple gradient!), and your idea of treating ourselves. My hands could desperately use a manicure, so that's what I'll be doing this afternoon. I'm excited! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three very good things! I think that yarn will be a perfect Hitchhiker!! And, that baked pancake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three great things. I have fond memories of baking with my two children when they were at home. The last time I was at Trader Joe's I bought a spring bouquet of flowers and have surely enjoyed them. That lavender yarn will make a beautiful hitchhiker. They are fun to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainbow’s pancake looks delightful!!! Makes me wish we’d gotten our darn oven replaced before our Stay Home orders...but I know I’d have ended up eating way too many cookies, scones, and pies if we had. And apple pancakes, now, too :) Does Rainbow like the historical AG books? My second-grader loves them—esp. Kit, from the ‘30s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't think she's read more than the one that came with her Molly doll, and that was many years ago. She seems more interested in just playing with the dolls!

      Delete
  5. oh yum, that apple pancake looks delicious! and I am ALL IN for a Hitchhiker Virgin KAL ;-) also using the special things. I found a small unopened bottle of special gin in my liquor cupboard this morning - my sister brought it back for me when she was last in England and apparently I'd been saving it so long I forgot about it. I was quite pleased with my past self for thinking to save it. I'm going to light the special candles. use the special glasses. and we might even drink a few bottles of special wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That apple pancake looks great! Yummy! I haven't made a hitchhiker either - I can't wait to see how yours comes together. And what a great idea to find ways to enjoy our luxurious items!! I have some rose lotion that I adore and have been slathering myself in it.

    I'm glad to read that you're doing well and finding ways to enjoy this strange time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one delicious looking baked good! Thanks for the Harrisville info (I live about 40 minutes from there) I'm pretty sure I have a SQ stashed around here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete